Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - first off my name is Sharon and I have three cats of my own and I volunteer as a foster home usually for the "medical misfits". I currently have a 5 week old kitten (Mr. Fuzzworth) who was pulled from a feral colony a week ago. He has a really bad URI (he's on Clavamox and Terramycin) and is doing much better but still sucks and kneads his food! I can't get him to take one bite. I have Iams soaked in KMR and I add a little "stinky" canned food and make a mash and he sucks it all over the place. I of course expected this at first but we are going on 7 days and he won't take a bite himself. I have to feed him 5 - 6 times a day as well because he's not taking in any water by himself. Any more suggestions?

Oh and my three cats are Piggy who is a 13 year old orange and white DSH who doesn't like any of the human inhabitants of my house (only cats and dogs), and Rex a 5 year old lynx point Siamese cross and the baby Pansy a 2 year old lynx point Siamese cross.

Pansy and Rex:

And this is Rex who weighs 26 lbs and I hear all the time that he's the biggest cat anyone has ever seen so yes he really is THAT big!!!

:D [/img]

·
Registered
337 Posts
i personally would still be bottle feeding and trying to wean at the smae time. Its obvious the poor thing has no idea how to chew his food etc. I also wouldn't use iams (for ethical reasons) my cat suki wont go near it. in fact ive never come across a cat in all my time that would eat iams.

Try mushing up some kitten food and dipping his little paws into it, this way he will lick it off and get a feel for solids. This is how i weened my 5 week ok. same with drinking. I dipped his paws in it till he licked it off. Or putting a little dob on his nose so he has to lick it.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I was also thinking that if Mr. Fuzzworth (great name, btw) still has a URI it might be effecting his taste/smell? Just a thought.

OHHHHHH, and Pansy and Rex and gorgeous. Rex is just HUGE.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts