Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying out different can foods with my two boys and I have found something that is putting a road block in choices. Foster hates pate style foods. He loves chunks and gravy. He will only sniff the pate and look at me like 'what is this, poison?' Salem did eat a little of the merricks cowboy one and tonight he ate a little over a tablespoon of evo 95% venison but I feel that I am wasting most of the can with them both. At first I thought that perhaps Foster just didn't like beef but I don't think that is the case as he loves the beef flavored temptation treats.

To think that I told the lady at the pet store that Salem was the picky one! I really don't want to have to feed them grocery store can food so I was hoping someone would know of some better can food that is not pate. They had Merricks new england boil (not the best I know) and Foster liked that one as it wasn't really pate. He goes crazy for whiskas turkey and giblets chunks but I really don't want to have to use Whiskas to get moisture in him. Anyway, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Most, if not all, of the gravy-style foods contain wheat gluten to make the gravy, so I stay away from them when at all possible. I have found that many cats who love chunks and gravy foods will also eat pate style foods if they are mixed into a thick gravy consistency with warm water. There's something about being able to lap up a gravy consistency food that appeals to these cats. You could also try mixing pate with warm water and then mixing in some chunks and gravy to help transition over to just pate with water. Try that strategy and see if it works for you and Foster.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I second what laurief said wholeheartedly!
My cats absolutely love pate type foods mixed with warm water. I was given a few cans of a meat and gravy type dinner awhile back and my girls would'nt eat it unless I mushed up the meaty pieces, they just licked up all the gravy part, but when I smushed the rest with water, it was gone.
We call it cat food soup, it is great when you pull cold leftover food from the fridge too, the warm water heats it up some.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
My girls also hate pate. I've tried it mixed with water, mixed with dry food, warm, cold, you name it. I sometimes feed them Wellness pouches (chunks with gravy), but not too often, because they only lick the gravy and leave the meat untouched. About the only wet food they will eat with no complaint is Weruva. It's not pate and it's not really chunks with gravy...it's sort of in between.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yup, same here.

When I was nursing back to health some feral kittens, I got donated some pouch food that was chunks and gravy. They would always lick the gravy and leave the "meat" at the bottom of the bowl. So I put it in a blender and made soup! Also, one of the kittens had to have KMR, so I just mixed the powder in with the 'soup', rather than trying to get her to eat food AND put reconstituted KMR in her tiny tummy.

Any leftovers I have, I just put in a little tupperware thing and put it in the fridge. Then I re-heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds... and stir it! It heats unevenly, so when I stir it, that makes the cooler parts mix with warmer parts and gets it so there's not "spots" of different temperatures.
I know nuking is not the best, but it's better than wasting half a can! Besides, I really only give canned food in the morning for Paizly's sake - add a little water, as she needs extra moisture to deter UTI, and as a treat for being good about taking her joint/arthritis medicines (and I gotta give canned to Nebbie, otherwise she steals Paizly's portion).

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
Merrick is good canned food. My twins used to gobble down every single variety. Have you tried any kind other than the New England Boil?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried putting more water with it but that didn't seem to get him to like it. I will try warming it up a little as well to see if that will help him eat more. My mother actually came into my room and told me that she seen him taste it a few times so there may be hope yet!

Marie, they also tried the cowboy cookout (I think that was the name), Foster didn't even taste it but Salem ate some. I bought every flavor of Merricks they had at the pet store so I am still trying them out on different flavors.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the double posting but I forgot to add that Merricks is a good food. I just meant about the fish in it. Sorry for that misunderstanding.

·
Super Moderator
26,494 Posts
Oh, I knew what you meant, that's why I asked if you'd tried any of the other flavors.

My bratz used to refuse to eat pate-style food. Now all of a sudden, they don't mind that texture.

But I'm sure it'll change the next time I buy some.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oops, guess I misunderstood. :)

Salem went back to it and I caught Foster looking around while eating a little bit of it after I heated it up a little. :D Maybe he is just trying me to see if I will give him one of the left over pouches of whiskas in my closet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts