Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post.
My wife and I are getting three 13-year-old cats at the weekend, all sisters.

They all seem in reasonable health etc, but having not had cats of our own before, I wondered what the score was with litter.

Is one type better than another? What should I be looking for when it comes to choosing a type? Is the self-clumping stuff better than other kinds?

Hope you can help

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Even though I have never used anything but clumping litter, it is very easy to keep clean. Once or twice a day scoop out the clumps and you have a clean box. You can also go at least a month (maybe longer) without completely changing the litter depending on how particular your cat is. I have to replace the litter once a month because my cat is finicky about his litter.

With 3 cats I would recommend at least 2 litter boxes if not 3. Keep them scooped as often as possible. Some cats have a problem using a box that another cat has used, then again many others have no problem with it.

There are some clumping litters that don't clump very well and when you scoop the box, the clumps break up. I have found 3 that clump well but are a little more on the expensive side: Everclean, Scoop Away Clean, and Pet Gold Plus (sold exclusively at PetCo). Also, some cats have an aversion to scented litter (mine does). I'm sure there are many other litters that clump well and other forum viewers that can help with their experiences.

Hope you enjoy the new additions to your family and we welcome you to the forum.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: thanks

Thanks very much for your advice and for your welcoming words.

My three cats all seem very contented and gentle, and I'm sure they'll take to the litter trays.

With a bit of luck, after a month or two they'll go to the loo outside anyway.

:D

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Hi, stu! I'm glad you've joined us. I have two cats, and use the LitterMail electric litter box. It is self-cleaning, but you have to empty or change the tray about once a week for each cat. I use Arm & Hammer clumping litter. It has a clean smell. I would assume with three cats, you would need to empty the tray three times a week.

Of course, I agree with Richo re having more than one box. Cats are usually quite meticulous, and don't like a box that needs to be changed. So an additional box would help to prevent accidents. I'll never regret spending the money on the Littermaid. It combs through the litter and drops the clumps into a tray ten minutes after the cat has left, and if another cat steps into the box, it stops, a good safety feature. If you consider getting one, make sure you get the mega size!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm not sure of the situation where the cats are comming from but is it possible to check what type of litter they have been using? Some cats are real picky about what they do their buisness in and will have accidents outside the box if their litter is suddenly switched.

Personally I like the clumping kind of litter because it's easy to clean up. I used to use the pine pellets but once I adopted more cats I had to switch because the pine pellets are much more expensive than the clumping kind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts