Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitten is about 8 months and we got her from the SPCA around 3 months. They fed her mixed food there and I have progressed slowly through a couple food brands and have settled with Taste of the Wild. On any other food she acts starved no matter how much she eats, so I will not change her food unless it has as high a protein % and as low fat % as the food she's on now. TOTW has 42% protein and 18% fat, and is a grain free cat food.

Anyways, she's had diarrhea since I got her (I mean I have not seen one single solid stool). I have tried to introduce supplements into her diet, including Kittymalt Vitamin paste and Firm Up! dehydrated pumpkin and cranberry. Neither of my cats will eat any of the supplements, and I don't necessarily want to take her to the vet unless I need to. She's received a clean bill of health at both of her vet appointments so far, and has her vaccinations up to date. I'm just looking to see if there's anything else I can try to get her to start having firmer stools before her poor butt falls off! I will take her to the vet as a last resort, but I'm hoping a simple diet additive can help.

Again, I'm really cautious about changing her main food because this is the one food I have been able to find that she does not act desperate for table food and drive us all up the wall (it got to the point that we couldn't eat at the couch because she incessantly crawled all over everyone in desperate attempts to get at whatever we were eating). If there are any success stories of supplements or diet additives that might be able to help me, I would love to hear about them!

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
She's had chronic diarrhea for 5 months and the vet gave her a clean bill of health? Did you not tell them she has never had a firm stool? You're feeding her a dry food only which is dehydrating, on top of that she's losing all kinds of moisture in her poop. She is growing and needs all the nutrients in her food, she needs water for healthy growth and the chronic diarrhea is preventing her from getting what she needs. Basically her long term health is being compromised.

You are way past the time for taking this cat to the vet. She needs a stool test and probably a dewormer or antibiotics to start...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree on taking her to vet & have a stool sample done. Obsessive hunger & loose stools are a sign of intestinal parasites & not all are expelled from an animal. If u can give her some clear non-flavored pedialite to help her stay properly hydrated. I am surprised she has hung on this long & that the vet has given her a clean bill. make sure she is not getting table scraps or eating on house plants as this can irritate their digestion or possibly kill them and although you like the food that could be another reason. I adopted a cat years ago from the shelter that could only eat certain foods & was very limited on what canned foods he could eat, he just had a very sensitive tummy. But definately get yours checked out fom the vet, go to a different vet if possible & see what their opinion is

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
yeah, that sounds pretty nuts for the vet to tell you she's fine after having diarrhea for 5 months straight. a 2nd opinion is definitely needed from someone who actually cares about your kitten's health. agree she probably is always wanting more food because the diarrhea is taking it all out of her! i've always read you should just keep feeding a kitten as much as she wants (within reason) since growing kittens need all the nourishment they can get. i would also ask a good vet if maybe some probiotics are appropriate for a kitten. we've had great success with it with our adult cat when she has the occasional diarrhea. helps to make sure she is at least still getting the beneficial stuff in her system after losing it through her diarrhea. believe it also helps prevent the diarrhea in the first place. maybe look into all other kinds of sources of fiber as well like wheat grass, peas, etc?

good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had discussed with my vet that she was having trouble with diarrhea and he recommended changing the food, she no longer acts starved for food and drinks a healthy amount of water (I have a fountain for my two cats because they won't drink from standing water) so I know she is not dehydrated and is otherwise completely healthy. She has no signs of being ill and has been dewormed twice since I've owned her and I believe twice as well through the SPCA. But I'll call anyways to see what can be done. I just wanted to know if there were any supplements that I might be able to add to her diet. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Stool samples often miss protozoal parasites like giardia and coccidia, both of which cause diarrhea. Most vets treat these particular parasites based on symptoms rather than on stool samples. Regular dewormers do not treat protozoal parasites. These require specialized medications (Flagyl and Albon). If your kitten hasn't been treated for both giardia and coccidia, these would be advisable to discuss with your vet.

Have you tried a probiotic like acidophilus or FortiFlora? That may help if she's dealing with a bacterial imbalance or insufficiency in her gut.

Laurie

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Taste of the wild Salmonella recall

Taste of the Wild Recall

Other than that if it keeps up test for Giardia. My Vet was able to see it in a stool sample but its its' it's not always visable

You aren't gonna love the treatment. neither is your cat

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know about the recall, trust me, lol! I work in a pet store. I've made sure to buy only the bags that have a production stamp outside of the recall one. I'm calling my vet to get her better :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm going through the same thing myself. I just had my cat to the vet. The other cats at the cattery are not sick so she didn't pick it up there but she had just been spayed 6 days before being shipped to us and that is where we figure she picked up whatever she picked up. So the vet has her on a course of antibiotics now. If that doesn't work, then more testing. Your vet needs to be doing some tests on her.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way seattlecoon your **** is absolutely gorgeous! I think my male is part Maine **** but I wish he had the ear tufts, he's got everything else! Also thanks to everyone for the advice, I've also figured out how to get some of the Firm Up! into her food, so hopefully that will help too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts