Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 2yr old littermates and one of them Kir is a very fast eater and pigs all of her food then pushes little sister JoMo out of her bowl and steals her food. Kir is very over weight and we are trying to get her weight down, JoMo is very skiddish and any little distraction stops her from eating and she will not come back to her bowl. We have tried seperating these two at dinner times and they wont eat alone. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Kir to eat slower and get JoMo to stay interested in her food? I was considering one of those bowls from petco that they have to "hunt" their food from for Kir but wasn't sure bout them. JoMo is our little active baby shes always chasing after lights and sounds i say she has kitty cat ADHD. Any help anyone has would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions I haven't answered please ask, I really want to get these issues resolved. Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I know the problem with a skittish cat. Muffs is the same way. If I'm in the kitchen and simply drop a spoon or something while she's eating, she gets startled and then she won't eat any more. So, I have to make sure I don't make any noise when she's eating.

In your case, I would try feeding the cats a distance away from each other...in the same room, but not right next to each other. When Kir finishes, I would then pick him up and try to distract him while JoJo finished (hopefully he will be far enough away from JoJo that your picking him up and distracting him won't distract her).

To get Kir to eat more slowly, you can try a few things. First, if you feed wet, spread the food out on the plate/bowl, so that it's spread thinner and he can't take big gulps. Second, try elevating his dish (put it on top of an old phone book or similar).

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've had the same types of problems with members of my kitty crew over the years and have had to make some adjustments to accommodate the difficult eaters. When I first started separating them at mealtimes, the most timid boy was scared to be separated and wouldn't eat, but within a couple of days, he learned that I would let him out of the bedroom as soon as he finished his breakfast, and that it was actually more peaceful to eat alone, undisturbed and without competition. It just took him a few days to get used to the new routine and appreciate its benefits.

Sometimes a cat will appreciate company when (s)he eats, so I sit quietly in a room with him/her during meals. The cat usually HATES being watched while (s)he eats, though, so I do something else like read or work at the computer while (s)he eats in the room with me.

If I want to feed several cats in the same room at the same time, I'll simply stand guard until everyone is finished, making sure that the faster eaters don't invade the bowls of the slower ones.

In your case, I'd let Kir eat in her normal spot by herself and take JoMo into a separate room and sit quietly with her while she eats. To get them past the initial nervousness of the new dining arrangement, feed them something really special like kitty treats or a favorite food flavor to focus their attention on the food.

Laurie

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Apart from what's already been suggested, you could use a carrier or dog crate in the same room. Lock up Kir until JoMo is finished her meal. I had a Mr. Piggy like Kir and had to do that or feed him in a separate room.
Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help everyone. We took JoMo to the vet today and are dealing with a virus so after she gets better we are going to try the seperating during meal times. the vet also suggested maybe trying that food bowl where they hunt for their food to keep Kir busy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts