Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI..I have a 4 month old russian blue(mix) kitten. She loves to sleep in my bed. But...she gets really active at 4am..wants to paly and purrs like mad. By doing that she wakes me up everyday at 4am.(I play with her every night at 11pm untill she is out cold) I decided to take her out to living room at 4am and close bedroom door. Here is the problem...she is trying to go back in the bedroom..by scratching bedroom door and meowing..she wouldnt stop doing that untill I let her back ..Is there any way to stop her from doing that?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I'm afraid you'll have no luck keeping her out of the room, but you can try some things to keep her from waking you.

Try feeding her right before you go to bed, she could be waking you because she's hungry. If that doesn't work, be stern when she wakes you up.. keep a squirt bottle on the nightstand and squirt her. You'll just have to train her not to wake you until the sun comes up. :wink:

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you do decide to squirt her with water, then try to do so without her seeing you. Apparantly, it can lead to the cat not trusting you. Thats what i heard though, i dont know if that is correct or not. My cat used to wake me up at around 4am too, by scratching at the door. She stopped doing that after a while.

·
Registered
42 Posts
feeding before bed can be helpful, but in association with playtime, I feel has been the most beneficial. The object is to readjust your cat's circadian rhythm, or body clock, to yours, remembering that a cat's natural time to be up an at 'em is at dawn, when their prey would be awake. Strenuous playtime, followed by a high protein (wet) food snack, about an hour-hour 1/2 before bed will really help. The trick is consistency and patience, since it will take a bit of time to adjust.
You can read more about play therapy at: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=012

And, I agree about the squirt bottle. If you really really have to use it, make sure your cat doesn't associate it with *you* doing it, which in this case would be difficult. In the long run, positive reinforcement, I think, will get you further.

Happy playing..and sleeping! :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts