Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We've just moved with our two cats (brother & sister, 10 years old), we kept them inside for 2 weeks and installed the cat flap last Saturday. No problem with the male (he's the clever one...), but the female does not want to use the catflap and is peeing inside the house. She's doing it on an old piece of carpet I left in the kichen (where the cat litter used to be, now it's outside), but I'm scared she starts peeing on the new carpets around the house. If i take her outside and close the door, she uses the catflat to come in, but not to go out!! What can be the problem, and what can i do? I've thought about putting the old piece of carpet outside (must smell), but I'm terrified she uses the new carpets! And I'm away from home all day working, so can only be with them in the evenings... Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
She is adjusting to the new surroundings inside but the outside is still new and scary to her. Could you just leave the litter box available to her until she is ready to go out on her own terms?

I always closely supervise my new cats when they start to go outside for the first time. Perhaps you did too, but you didn't say.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before the cat flap was installed we let them out several times, being with them, but this was in the back garden, and the cat flap had to be installed on the front door.. i think this has confused her a lot, because she tries to go out on the back garden , but that's not possible...(the doors are glass and installing a cat flap there would be tricky & expensive) I can put the litter back in, i'm worried she never gets used to go outside if i do this? She seems fine outside though, when i take her out it takes her about 15 min to come back in, so she must enjoy it somehow? There are at least 3/4 other cats in the neighbourhood, which i think must be difficult for them too, being the new ones...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, the catflap itself is not expensive, but it needs a professional to cut the glass and install it, and this is the expensive bit. I'm still struggling with her, although i have more problems now cos my other cat has dissapeared.. at the moment i'm taking her out 2/3 times a day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts