Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a cat who had a fever followed by a cough and sneezing. She went to the vet and they gave her meds for a high fevor. After she got feeling a little better she went outside and when she came back in she seemed sore in the hind quarters. Whenever I picked her up she will growl. We took her back to the vet and they examined her again and she seemed stiff in the hips. Now she seems to be very jumpy and sometimes she scratches for no reason. This isnt like her she is always kind what is up with this and her mood swings. I took her to the vet today but the vet couldnt find anything worng with her they xrayed her and drew blood for test. We are awaiting the results. She is usually a very sweet and loving kitty. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Vmontice

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Definately take her to a different vet - I am sorry your kitty and you have to go through so many problems. Please keep us posted on what the real problem is.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
The coughing and sneezing sounds like Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) and need immediate treatment with antibiotics. I am not sure about the scratch. The fact that she growls when you pick her up might be due to severe amount of flegm that added up in her lungs because the URI was left untreated.
This I can tell you from my experiences of dealing with URI which have been quiete a few. How do her eyes look? Any redness or goopy matter in them? How are her eating habits and energy level?
I am not a vet ..and even if the certified vet that is a member of the site were here - she would recommend the same thing : have her seen immediately by a different vet. I am not sure if this is URI or not but there is definately something wrong. She is obviously in pain and needs medication in order to have relief. Please let us know what the other vet said!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Her lungs are clear and there is not any discharge from her eyes or nose. She walks like she is stiff in the hips and scares easily. She does not meow, either. The vet x-rayed to see if she has any broken bones and they drew blood and we are waiting for the results.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It might be an injury that she has suffered without your knowing it - falling or if left outdoors wrestling with another cat - not necessarily aggressive. Is she an indoors or outdoors kitty? I hope the results to the test will clear out the mystery. When are the results coming in? Regardless please do keep us posted!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your concern. We thought it may be an injury that is why we had her x-rayed. Sometimes when she goes nasty is when she is being picked up, but sometimes no one is touching her. Last night she growled at someone who was crying and not even touching her. The vet has said the cat does not have one thing to say what it is. That is why we are having blood test done. She has not lost weight and she is using her litter pan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Someone told me it could be Viral Brain Infection what is that? From what I have told you is this life threatning? Or is it just a cold or something?

Thanks in advance,
Vmontice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts