Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Ive just got a new addition to my family A 9 week old long haired female who we have named meeka, I have 5 other kittens from 12 weeks to 8 months, they are all indoor cats.

Her previous owner had 3 other cats and 2 dogs, she was confined to one room with the dogs and i was unhappy to hear that when she came out from under her stool the dogs would chase her back under the stool, she was only fed on dog biscuits which occasionally was mixed with cat food, as they said what is the point on putting down dog and cat food when the cat eats anything.

They also didnt believe in de fleaing or worming because they have cats that come and go which they said would bring in the fleas.

Now we have got her she is very timid which is understandable , she shakes when you make any movements, she will let me pick her up and will sit on my lap for a cuddle but when my partner goes near her or touch her she will run and hide under our cabinet. Our other kittens have been fine with her which is a relief,
Any suggestions on how to help her feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Aww, poor kitty. I'm glad you rescued her from the situation she was in. It sounds like her previous owner shouldn't even have pets at all.

Are you other cats all up to date on shots? (one rabies, a distemper and a distemper booster). If not, I would be sure to keep the new kitten seperated from your other cats until you can get them up to date. From how you've described her, I doubt the previous owner did much for vet care, and with other cats coming and going, the kitten could have been exposed to infectious diseases.

I would suggest a vet visit for de-fleaing and worming and for her first round of shots. Over the counter medications are not recommended because they are usually innefective and can be dangerous.

If she was eating dog food with only some cat food mixed in, she is probably malnourished and a high quality kitten food will definately do her some good.

As for getting her to feel more comfortable, I would suggest first confining her to a room of her own and then gradually let her have more space. A big new space with new animals is surely big and scary to a timid little kitten. You and your partner can spend some quiet time in the room with her so she will become more comfortable with you. Try talking to her, feeding her some treats out of your hand and interactive play. Play is a great way to get a kitten to forget about her worries.

She is young enough that she should adjust pretty quickly. I think with some love and patience she should feel right at home in no time.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It just takes time. She'll get used to everthing as she goes although some behaviors may not change. Give her plenty of hidey holes so she feels secure, itd probably be a good idea to put those hidey holes like a carboard box of cat bed in the noisest and most active rooms of the house (like the lounge room) so that she can sit in her secure box and feel safe whilst getting used to the activites and sounds around her.

That thing about the dog food is a bit disturbing. Dog food is very bad for cats! They should never be allowed to eat it.

Good lucky with the little girl!

·
Registered
111 Posts
yikes. Sounds like you have some major reprograming and trust building in your future.

Definantly introducing her to the house should be done slowly. As far as shaking her timidness, few tricks you can do.

1) Time. Yes it will obviously take alot of this, but I meen more along the lines of spending time with her, alone. Get down to her level, lie down on your stomach when interacting with her. Or lie on your back and put her on you so she is in a position of power. May need a toy here while your lying down in order to draw her to you at first, yarn works best :)

2) Build "You = Good" paths. Find something she likes, be it a toy or treats, and use it in your play sessions with her. Cats associate things they like with what provides them with it... and in turn will mark you as nice.

3) The cave. Once she starts to come around, and is not shaking around you or running away from you, make a little cave with your body. Sit on your knees and hunch over so your torso is the roof. Put her under you, Kinda like a big touchless hug, and make purring sounds, rub your face on hers, stuff like that. I think it has to do with making the cat feel secure (due to the close quarters) and in tandom associating you with that feeling. I know I know... sounds crazy, but we did this with both our cats, and now when I do it, they purr like motorboats. Heck I've had them a few times run over to me when Im kneeling on the floor doing something and to find them trying to squeeze in under me LOL.

4) most importantly though, what ever you do, let her do it on her terms. She wants out of "the cave" let her go. She doesn't want to play with you at the moment... so be it. Hey, sometimes I don't like my wife pawin at me when Im in a grump... I am sure cats can be the same way :p

Tink (our first) was pretty open right out of the gate with us, however Cleo (our newest kitten) was timid at first. Now she's a "come here and show me some love" kitty.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Nothing to add advice-wise, just kudos to you for rescuing the kitten from the horror house and investing the time and effort to help her recover. And with five other kittens, even!! :thumb

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

Thankyou all for you advice, Its day 2 of meekas arrival and we are starting to make very good progress, For the most of the day today she was once again hiding, this evening we gave her some tlc time, she fell asleep on my lap for a while then when she woke up i got a toy and started to move it very gently and all of a sudden she began to paw at it, (which is the first time we have seen her make any play movements since we got her).
I then sat her down on the floor and started to play with her, she responded and now shes rolling about playing with her toys, this is a such a big difference fom all the shaking and hiding. Shes still nervous if we or the other kittens approch her, but at least shes not instantly running away.

I will post some pictures soon of all my kittens.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
You're Meeka's angel for rescuing her from the **** she was in! :angel
You'll see her gain in confidence and spirit in the coming weeks because of your love. :D You watch, the change in her will be like night and day. :p
(I love rescue kitties. Can ya tell?:lol: )
:kittyball

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to say that I'm so happy this kitty has a wonderful home now. I'm such a suck but reading about Meeka's terrible former living situation brought tears to my eyes. Perhaps because she is still quite young, she will likely have an easier time adjusting than an adult cat would. Just continue to give her a high-quality kitten food, patience, and love.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my kittens progress

Hi,

Thankyou for all your advice, meeka is doing really well, yesterday she just started interacting with ryo our 8 and half week old, they are playing and chasing each other, they even lay down together, she has more confidence when approching our other kittens and now shes started to explore the downstairs of the house, this morning when i was stroking her she started to purr very loudly too, she has gained alot more weight and the vet is happy with her.

Now shes progressing im hoping to take some pictures of her and i will post some soon.

Take care

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds similiar to Lane. My MIL would kick Lane everytime she would go near her. So when we got Lane, any slight movement would send Lane running. That was almost a year and a half ago. A while back I stepped next to Lane to do something and she didn't stir a bit. Freaked me out for some reason because I thought she had died. I even shook her slightly. When I got up, she looked at me wondering what I was doing.

So I'm all for time, patience and love
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts