Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have a cat that's a year old (15 months old). And well...she's not a very big cat in the sense that she's not very long and not very tall. HOWEVER...she's getting to be a bit wide.

So I'm wondering what cat foods are good to keep a cat at a healthy weight. But wait...there's more....

I have two 4 1/2 year old males as well. Now the problem is....it's dang near impossible to feed them separately because we're in an apartment and the only place we can put them to feed them separately is the bathroom (which is kinda off limits to them) and the closet...which I could never put them because 1) it's mean and 2) that's where I keep their dry food, kitty treats , toys and catnip...and the last time a cat got accidentally shut in there, it was a MESS!)

So I guess I'm wondering what cat food (if any) would be good to give my cats to keep my one cat at a healthy weight and still be good for two growing kittens.

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
First of all, you have to stop free-feeding the cats. Leaving food out all the time isn't the natural way for cats to eat, so it can contribute greatly to weight gain. My kitty that lost 5.5 lbs used to just eat whenever she was bored.

Second, you need to switch their diet to at least 50% wet food. It has less calories, so they feel just as full, but then can lose weight. You can feed all your kitties the same food, just let the cats eat as much wet food as they can at one sitting, then pick the food up. Cats are very good at regulating their intake as long as they are fed in timed meals, not free-fed. If the larger cat still isn't losing weight, then you must reduce the amount of dry kibble still more.

I've had incredible success with my cats' weight loss. May of last year, all three were obese. Levi was 16 lbs, Lucas and Cleo were both 14 lbs. I switched them slowly over to a 100% wet food diet. By Decemeber, they no longer got any kibble. Levi has lost 5 lbs, Cleo has lost 5.5 lbs, and Lucas has lost 4 lbs. They are now all at their ideal weight, so I know that this program works!

<edit> I you would like to see their weight loss pics - here they are.
http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5811&highlight=diet

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, I probably should have mentioned one thing....the older cat hates wet food. She turns her her nose up at it. I've tried several different brands, all with the same result. She refuses to eat it. Maybe she will acquire a taste for it if that's all we feed her, but I dunno. She's pretty stubborn.

Now I have no idea how much she weighs, she's going to the vet in two weeks so I'll find out then. I would put my guess at around 12 pounds. Which may or may not sound very heavy to some....but she's not a tall or long cat so all 12 pounds of her is compacted in this tiny body. :)

Oh, and we feed the cats twice a day, once in the morning and again around dinnertime. I go by the recommended servings on the bag....and I cut it in half, so half they get in the morning and they get the second half at night. And all the food is eaten within minutes of it being placed in the bowl.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Feeding them serperately can help you quickly grasp how much each one of them is really eating, and control how much they do eat. What it says to feed on the back of the bag is not always proper for each cat.

I have 4 cats here, it wouldn't matter the number of cats I have, they can be fed seperately. You mentioned you have a bathroom, but do you have a bedroom? Feed one in your bathroom, one in bedroom, and then one out in the kitchen doors closed. They don't have to stay in there forever, just check on them and let them out in about 10 minutes.

If they have walked away from their bowls, they are done. Pick up what is left over. Just about any high quality wet food will help with weight loss if fed appropriately. If your other cat can not eat wet, then find a dry diet for him.
Off the top of my head, and with non perscription diets, I can say that California Natural dry has the lowest or one of the lowest kcal per cup ratio.

Speak to you vet about this when you go in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts