Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh this stinks im upset! I got a new kitten a few weeks back... but i knew the cat i have NOW does not like newcomers or strangers, so i did as was told and seperated them for a few weeks so they could get used to each others smells! Well i did everything i was supposed to... except now it doesnt work... the CAT is mean towards the KITTEN and hisses at it when it gets close... if it gets TOO close for comfort itll lunge at it and swat it.. (shes declawed) All the kitten wants to do is PLAY. This is a big problem because i knew this was gonna happen :( :( :( Has this ever happened to anyone else??? and if so what do i do? They rome free now...but the kitten does not have a playmate but a mean roomate! And i love them both dearly and this sux!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ok, so you separated them for a few weeks.. Did you add just a few mins of introductions to that? They may have known that 'something' was there, just not knowing what... On the other hand, I didn't properly introduce my cats... Angel didn't like my kitten, and my kitten loved her. How are my cats now? Oreo(kitten) is the alpha, and wins over Angel. The swatting is trying to prove dominance. When Kitten gets tired of it, s/he will swat your cat and 'sometimes' that stops it, and other times, it encourages real fighting. Oreo and Angel sleep together now, but they don't play... Pretty much ignore the others existance.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Proximal: Give them time, even after proper introductions, it doesn't garuntee success.
Some cats will take weeks or months after meeting and being free roam around eachother 24/7, to warm up to the sitiation.

Others never will, but can still live in a semi peaceful coexistance.

And either way it goes, that's just how it's going to be, enjoy your time with both of them, they both can be happy together or seperated.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I am in the EXACT same situation. We got Psi at the end of May when he was 10 weeks. Our resident cat Samhain, who is 7, HATED him. They did exactly what yours are doing. All you can do is give it time, as long as they aren't hurting eachother. Now, she still doesn't like him but she tolerates him. They will play with eachother (I think it is playing - they chase eachother around and pounce on eachother. The reason I think it is playing is because it is mutual) but she will still swat him and she gets pissed off at him easily. She is obsessed with his butt hehe, and he will swat her when she sniffs him too much. They don't love eachother yet, but once Psi has grown up, I think they will be close. As I said, just give it time!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah... there IGNORNING one another right now... But the older one continues to HISS at the kitten :( It stinks cuz my cat used to be playful and happy...and now that theres a new one in the house... she runs, hides and is afraid :(. Mabye once they are given time itll happen..... i hope :( I really love em both!

·
Registered
651 Posts
We had one cat at first, and have added 3 kittens at various times starting when the original was one year old. She hated all of them at first, and it took months the first time for her to stop hissing. But each time got a little easier. To be honest, none of my cats truly love each other, not even the littermates, but they all get along ok. They really like to play rough and tumble and get too agressive sometimes and I have to break them up, but for the most part I figure it's good exercise! :wink: So just don't have an expectation that they will become best buds (even though they certainly may). Just set your sights on them eventually tolerating each other, b/c that's more reasonable. After all, you might get jealous if they loved each other more than you anyway, right?? :lol:

Edited to add: And give your kitten some alone "time out" to give your older cat a break once in a while.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Proximal: I wanted to add that you should play with them together as well, get a good toy on the floor and attract both of them to it.

My Asim hated this new kitten that was recently here, for about 4 weeks he was soooo upset, hissed and ran away from the little thing. But two weeks before she got adopted out Asim was playing with her every day, he loved to play with her, he was actually sad and didn't know what to do with himself after she left! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts