Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does my cat always meow after eating. she goes to the door and scratches at the screen and meows, she is a inside/outside cat. she does this everynight and it is driving me insane with how many holes are in the screen. Is she sick or does she want something

Thanks, Brayden

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Does she want outside?
Does she have a scratch post inside?

...how is she reaching the screen?
Is the door/window open?
Is the screen inside with the door closed?
Is she going outside and scratching the screen?

The outside tomcat that hangs around scratches at our window screen to get my attention and I'm going to have my husband build a small frame tacked with hardware cloth for me to put outside and over the part of the screen he can reach, then his claws will get the sturdier hardware cloth and NOT ruin my bug-screen over the windows.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she should know by now that no kitty is alowed outside at night. the screen is a security door with that screen mesh over it, she has a scartchy board. i just wanna make sure she isnt sick, but i really do think she just wants to go outside, she is fixed by the way as well.

On another note is it normal for cats to not like to be picked up ? my other cat can't stand being picked up or belly rubbed she gets the claws out :yikes, but she is always up for a chin rub or a pat?

Thanks Brayden.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Oh, if she isn't allowed out at night I would just stick with your consistency and refuse her request/demand, but I'd also discourage her scratching to get her way. I'd maybe clap my hands sharply, tell her a stern "No!" or threaten to go over and *make* her move away from the door or shake a squirt bottle at her to make her leave scratching at the door.

As for the handling issue ... maybe some cats just don't *like* to be handled ... but I have NEVER had a cat that I could not pick up and handle in any way I wished (belly rubs, holding their feet, holding them upside down like a baby, smooching them ~ all w/out being bitten/scratched) and I have had up to 80-90 cats throughout my entire life. I'm not tooting my own horn, but surely if it were true that "some cats just don't like to be handled" the odds would have given me a cat I could not handle? So, I must conclude that my handling methods are different from most people and cats who don't like to be handled are allowed to be that way by their handlers. I do not allow my cats to refuse to be handled ... and most of my cats were adult ferals I tamed myself.
I have no other explanation...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
she seems to have so much anger ever since she has had the kittens ( who are 1 next month) i just want her the way she use to be, affectionate cat that would sleep next to me or on me, now she is a cat that attacks me when ever i go close to her :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts