Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 cats, Cressida is our new baby and we love her dearly. The problem come with our other female, Raelyn. She HATES Cressida...I mean H A T E S. Now I know sometimes we can't all get along but Raelyn is now defecating and urinating outside of the litterbox and I know it's because of Raelyn. I'm all gung-ho to get her her own litterbox but I live in an apartment so how will I make sure it's hers and only hers and do you think this will cure the problem? She's perfectly healthy, she's affectionate with her human's still but she hates the new cat. We've had Cressida since early February and at first she hadn't been spade because she was just a baby yet, she's since been spade and I was kinda hoping that would make a difference in Raelyn's attitude towards her but it hasn't. Is there any way to get RaeRae to loathe her less? I hate seeing both of them being so upset with each other while my Thomas just rolls his eyes at both of them, and then goes back to licking himself. He's so laid back. Anyhoo...thanx for any and all help you can give!!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
How were they introduced when they first met? How old are they both? Is everyone involved spayed/neutered?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How were they introduced when they first met? How old are they both? Is everyone involved spayed/neutered?
Well because Cressida is who she is...she sorta ran out of the carry case when I first brought her home so there was no introducing anybody. Raelyn is about 4 and Cressida is 6 months old. Everybody is spayed and neutered.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many litter boxes do you have? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you shold have one litter box for each cat plus an extra, so that would mean four boxes in your case. That's probably not do-able in an apartment but you should definitely add at least one more, especially if all 3 are currently using just one box.

The getting-along thing....you could try re-introducing Cressida to Raelyn (lovely names BTW!) and I believe there are threads about properly introducing cats here. It takes time and patience to create a harmonious multi-cat household but it's worth it. Back in the day when I didn't have much experience with cats I did the old "sink or swim" method of introduction and it always resulted in a lot of fighting and stress for several months before everyone got used to eachother.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many litter boxes do you have? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you shold have one litter box for each cat plus an extra, so that would mean four boxes in your case. That's probably not do-able in an apartment but you should definitely add at least one more, especially if all 3 are currently using just one box.

The getting-along thing....you could try re-introducing Cressida to Raelyn (lovely names BTW!) and I believe there are threads about properly introducing cats here. It takes time and patience to create a harmonious multi-cat household but it's worth it. Back in the day when I didn't have much experience with cats I did the old "sink or swim" method of introduction and it always resulted in a lot of fighting and stress for several months before everyone got used to eachother.

Thank you so much for answering me so very quickly! I was going to go and buy a 3rd litterbox and am wondering if I should put it somewhere different but there really is no place else I could put it that doesn't have carpet...which is a problem. What do you think the best litter would be to get for the three boxes btw? I'm not very good at scooping and Raelyn is one of those cats who doesn't bury her business...big fun!! I will check out those threads at the weekend as I work tomorrow and have to be up @3am!! YIKES! Again thank you and I'm glad you like my girl's names! Raelyn is a Manx and that's a Celtic name and I love the name Cressida ever since I read it in a book by Elizabeth Noble, one of my favourite authors! My 12 year old named Thomas when he was 2, and not after the tank engine.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I fully agree with madamefifi, regarding both the litter boxes and starting from scratch by re-introducing the cats. Here's an article that will help you to go about that:

Cat-to-Cat Introductions | Little Big Cat

You might also try a product called Feliway, which sometimes helps with both the stress cats feel when being introduced to a new cat and with inappropriate urination.

Finally, and not meaning to be critical, but you should try to get in the habit of scooping regularly...as long as you have only 2 boxes, you should scoop at least twice a day. A dirty box will often lead to a cat refusing to use it. As for litter, you might try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. Other members have had success with this litter when dealing with a cat peeing outside of the box.

Good luck with the re-introduction. I hope your two girls are friends soon (it often takes two females a while to get along).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx Susan! Sorry it took me so long to get back here but work has been wicked lately. Anywhoo, I do scoop at least twice a day so I'm probably better at it than I give myself credit for...now if I could just convince my son to scoop!! I got the third litterbox but haven't had a chance until today to put it up, it's enclosed so it'll be interesting to see who uses that one right away and who has to be convinced, even though I will push Raelyn in first and maybe only...I know it's gotta be nearly impossible to keep the other two out but we'll see. This is gonna be loads of fun so, if I have hands left after it's over, I'll post about how it went! lol

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Different methods work for different cats. You might have to try a variety of things before you find one that works for you.

I agree that you might need to do a proper re-introduction for them. Likely Raelyn might feel usurped by the new 'intruder' and is voicing her displeasure with the litterbox.

Definitely Raelyn is stressed. Using Feliway or something similar may help to calm her. In addition to that, it might not be a bad idea to get a dog kennel where you can keep either one of them (Raelyn is probably the better candidate). The kennel will help with the pee/poops out side the box AND it will give both of them an opportunity to have a proper introduction. They can safely see, hear, smell and play with each other thru the bars voluntarily.

Confinement may sound cruel from a human point of view, but for cats, it has a calming effect. Sometimes when you have a cat freak out, you can confine them in a room for a couple of hours to calm them down.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
3catstolove, you said.... ".... I got the third litterbox but haven't had a chance until today to put it up, it's enclosed so it'll be interesting to see who uses that one right away and who has to be convinced, even though I will push Raelyn in first and maybe only...I know it's gotta be nearly impossible to keep the other two out but we'll see. "

I definitely would not force Raelyn to use it by pushing her in it. Just put it out and let whoever use it that wants to. You can't make a cat like another, but you can object to Raelyn if she's attacking Cressida. You have to catch her in the act. You can try to distract her by using a clicker or a PSSST sound. When she responds to the sound call her to come and give her a treat. You really need to time this when she's preparing or looking at Cressida ready for an attack. If Raelyn doesn't respond to being distracted and actually attacks, walk toward her with stomping feet and a stern "No", to show her you are objecting to her attacking Cressida. When she is being a good girl and ignoring Cressida do give her lots of loving and praise.
If she's still not using the box, I would try and retrain her to use it by confining her to a large dog crate with her litter box when you cannot closely supervise her. Feeding her meals and all treats in the crate will make her feel comfortable about it. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so all has gone really well! It's funny 'cos nobody but Raelyn uses the new, enclosed catbox! I'm sure that'll change and that's fine but it just cracks me up how they seem to know this is for THE PRINCESS! Anywhoo, she and Cressida aren't friends yet but can and have been able to lay on the bed with me really close. Cress still scrunches down for a second or two and Raelyn will give her the "I wish you were dead" look, but no hissing and no attacking! So I'm feeling rather positive! Plus Raelyn hasn't done anything in the tub for over a week now so here's to hoping that's over! I feel blessed that she's smart enough to have used the tub instead of going all over the house though!! I chaned litter and all three cats seem to really like this litter A LOT better! YAY!

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
Great! Hope things continue to get better and better. (fingers crossed!)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts