Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in dire need of some help. My cat is VERY ill and this is the 3rd time this has happened. He gets placed on potassium and antibiotics and ends up having a full recovery. Well, this is the 3rd time and I can't afford to keep taking him in. Last time I paid over $500, the time before that I paid over $400. I am not getting any answers. When reading potassium deficiencies it sounds just like his symptoms. Weak, stiff... but the last time I took him in they said that there had to be something causing that potassium deficiency. Has anyone else had any of these issues? I am scared to take him back because they quoted me $800 for more tests and then kept telling me if its this or that he would end up being put to sleep. I'm so emotional about it because he's the best cat we have ever had. His food intake is lacking but it's due to him not being able to get to his food. He's been missing the last 2 days so we knew something was wrong. He went into hiding and we found him again barely moving. He purs when we hold him and he talks to us, but something is not right... HELP!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is so sad, I really hope you get some help for your cat. No answers we can give you here will help you other than to find the source of the potassium deficiency, possibly diet change, and if I were you I'd also get a second quote or second opinion from another vet. Please keep trying for your cat so as long as you don't continue to put him/her threw pain. Its a hard choice, my hubby and I had to make a similar choice with our dog who was epileptic / deaf last October. He got really sick and we had just spent over 2k on getting him some help for another problem (he was born with some serious special needs) and we just didn't have the 4k-7k to help him. Hardest choice in our life, I would of put myself in debt for that dog, but that would of been foolish.

We love our pets from day one, then one day we have to play god for them. I now will always have insurance on my pets. We also saved up a bunch of money for in case something like this happens again. <3 Make sure you do what is right for you and your pet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How awful! I would definitely get a second opinion if you can. What do you mean that he can't get to his food? Is there something you can do about that - if it's another cat interfering, perhaps separate them out somehow, have a room that only he is allowed into or feed them separately? I would also ask about the prescription foods you can buy - Science Hill, or something like that, I think was the brand name. My ex's elderly cat got a UTI while I was living with him, and they gave us a script for one of the varieties of this special-needs food to help her through it because she was so old. Perhaps they have a potassium-supplement version you could get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm so sorry that is happening, I really feel for you :(
Have you considered looking into the health of your cat's kidney? I think kidneys get rid of potassium? I'm unsure, but I do think you should get a second opinion from a different vet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm so sorry you're going through this. :( Vet bills are so incredibly expensive. My family cat, who was my best friend growing up, was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago. He lived 2 years and finally had to be put to sleep because of other conditions that were causing him severe pain. During those two years we spent THOUSANDS and thousands of dollars, esp. at the beginning. My mom put off a car payment and went without a vehicle for a month even. We barely were able to pay those bills and proly wouldn't have been able to without the help of our amazing vet and some grants they had for owners in situations like ours. There were times when we were in your situation, terrified because we loved him so much but we literally didn't have the money, already going without groceries, cars, etc but we couldn't bear the thought of having him put to sleep. I'm nearly in tears right now just typing this. I feel for you.. I know what its like to be terrified to go to the vet, terrified of what they're going to tell you about your sweet baby's condition and terrified to see the bill. :( I wish I could be more help to you, please never ever hesitate to PM me if you ever, ever need anyone to talk to. I hope everything goes well and you are able to find out what's wrong with your boy.

How come he can't access his food? Is he missing outdoors or indoors? If he's an outdoor kitty you should consider keeping him as an indoor kitty, at least til you get this figured out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts