Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We have a almost 5yr old cat who has been with us almost a yr in December and we brought in a kitten last night and introduced them, they have pretty well hid from each other all last night and taking different corners of the house. They did sniff each other last night and the hissing and growling began from our older cat. The kitten is wanting to be friends with her and she is getting braver as the day goes on. The kitten doesn't back down from the older cat either she stays right there and lets her hiss and growl at her, but she knows when it is time to back away. What I want to know is, is there anything me and my husband can do to make this any better for them to help them get to know each other? This kitten is really playful and wants the other cat to play with her?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
The kitten not backing away is VERY typical. They are so aloof, I swear.

However, you should really separate them and introduce them properly over a gradual period.

Here is a helpful article on how to do this:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

If you don't, you could be looking at a long time of trouble between these two. It's not too late, even though they've already seen each other face to face, you just start completely over.

I have a 17 week old kitten and a 4 year old cat. 2 months ago I was exactly where you are. It'll work out, but you need to do it gradually.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thinks it's cute the way little kittens don't back down! :lol: The older cat is probably thinking this little guy is crazy! :lol: When my wife and I were together we had one cat for about 4 years and then decided to get another one. When we got Sylvester, the cat in my Avatar, the two cats immediately did not care for eachother one bit. Well, we ended up going on vacation over the weekend so we just put lots of food and water out for them and just let them be. When we came home, they were best friends! 8O That may not be typical and I'm sure that's not the best approach for an introduction, but it did work.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Sometimes you get lucky with immediate introductions and the cats will get along, but to maximize your chances of a harmonious introduction, gradual is much much better.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 4 of 4 Posts