Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Saturday I adopted a Maine coon cat that had been one of 63 taken away from a breeder because of the conditions they were living in. I was more concerned at first because she ate almost nothing the first two days, but her appetite seems to be returning now. However, you the cat is still very skittish, and although I don’t know what exactly happened to it at the breeders, it is still obviously *very* frightened. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on extra steps that I might take to help calm her down a little.

Thanks

·
Registered
611 Posts
feliway might help. it can take cats a while to adjust to relocation. my first cat took a little over a week before he started acting more like the cat i now know and love. he hid behind the dresser most of the day when i wasn't around, and even sometimes when i was.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I have no personal experience with Feliway, but many posters here have had success with it.
I'm sure she will settle in. She has been through a lot and will need some patience. Very sad to hear of a breeder like this, but I guess we all know there are some very poor breeders out there. :(
Best of luck with her, and thank you for saving her! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I will look into that. Seemed to make a lot of progress with her this afternoon, she seems to be eating well now, and will finally come out from under the bed when I'm around, still very skittish, but I'm hopeful.

Yeah its really sad about the bad breeders, someone people find out how much maine coon kittens go for in this area, and they think its some kind of get rich quick scheme. :evil: The local newspaper ran a couple of articles about it, from what I heard at the shelter they are getting a lot of local adopters coming out to help them (they really had a hard time with so many at once)

Early article on these cats

·
Registered
552 Posts
I think time is what you need. Just give her some time to get to know her new surroundings. She needs to know that she can trust you, too. It sounds like she is adapting, so just try to be patient. I know, I know, you want to pick her up and cuddle her, but those times will come. :wink:

Peace,
Mike

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's amazing she's already responding, this is excellent.

Time, patience and consistency are the keys. You might want to consider play therapy, too, to increase her confidence and get her comfortable in her surroundings. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012
Flower essences can also be very helpful for abused kitties.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts