Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My eight-month-old cat has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Disease, likely from his earlier stomach upsets (coccidia, two types of worms, and giardia). His system never set up right. The vet gave him a steroid shot that lasts for a month as well as put him on Albon mixed with Amforal for the next ten days (we are on day four).

I'm wondering what all I can do to help him. I know that feeding raw is the best thing to do for IBD, but it's just not plausible right now. I'm feeding him Blue Wilderness Kitten dry, which he has been on since he was four weeks old, and Weruva wet food after he gets his medicine. I want to feed him wet-only but it's not possible yet (I'm hoping to start a stockpile in January).

Anyway, suggestions would be great :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
my recently deceased Morriss (12/6/11):cry: had ibd for over 10 years. at first we had him on prednisolone as well as limited ingredient food. within a year or so he was able to get away without the meds, just making sure that he never got anything other than his limited ingredient food.

natural balance offers limited ingredient in four different flavors and it is quite a bit cheaper than hills brand, in my area it is about $1.50 per 5.5 oz can. even though i was buying the hills from the vet she was all for switching to the natural balance, she had total confidence that it was produced on a dedicated line and was the highest quality.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry to hear about Morriss! :(

My vet is hoping that because he is young he just needs a system reboot, which is what the steroid is supposed to do. When it wears off, if he continues to have the diarrhea problem (it's his only problem, thankfully) the vet wants to try this new drug that is a gel you rub in his ear. It's a human drug for IBS made for animals, and it's brand new, which worries me because I don't know the side-effects.

I looked at Natural Balance Limited Ingredient but couldn't tell if it was pate or not. Finnick (my cat) won't eat pate-style unfortunately. I might be able to coax him into it though if it's tasty. Did it work well?

Finnick has a wheat-gluten allergy as well that I forgot to mention.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Morriss! :(
thanks. i truly do have a broken heart.

My vet is hoping that because he is young he just needs a system reboot, which is what the steroid is supposed to do. When it wears off, if he continues to have the diarrhea problem (it's his only problem, thankfully) the vet wants to try this new drug that is a gel you rub in his ear. It's a human drug for IBS made for animals, and it's brand new, which worries me because I don't know the side-effects.
good luck and please post updates as to how it goes.

I looked at Natural Balance Limited Ingredient but couldn't tell if it was pate or not. Finnick (my cat) won't eat pate-style unfortunately. I might be able to coax him into it though if it's tasty. Did it work well?

Finnick has a wheat-gluten allergy as well that I forgot to mention.
the natural balance is unfortunately a pate. i would say that it worked like a charm, no issues at all for over 9 years.

best of luck to you both.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. i truly do have a broken heart.

good luck and please post updates as to how it goes.

the natural balance is unfortunately a pate. i would say that it worked like a charm, no issues at all for over 9 years.

best of luck to you both.
Thank you. I shall update as the month goes along. Right now he is doing well, but he just got the shot. I'm worried that as it wears off, it will get bad again, but I'm hoping it doesn't. I'm just going to keep a careful eye on all of his food intake to ensure that everything is perfect for his sensitive stomach.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Franklin has IBD. He has been on 5mg prednisolone every other day for about 18 months and has been great. His weight went from just over 5 pounds to just over 8 1/2 pounds, His stool is good and he and thrown up only once. My vet says he'll likely be on the pred for life.

He eats only Natural Balance Duck & Green Pea canned and Royal Canin Indoor Adult 27 dry. No treats, no human food. The RC dry is a bit pricey but it's cheaper than the prescription dry he was eating and he seems to do well on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts