Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I booked a cruise and one of the ports of call is Key West FL. Reading about Hemmingway's House I see there are a lot of cats, descents of his cats, roaming the grounds.

I am a fan of history, but don't know if I have ever read any of his works. If you have been there, please advise if the house tour would be good from a cat lover stand point? Are the cats roaming the grounds people friendly?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Marshel I was there as a teenager, love history, and am an animal lover. At the time I was not all that into cats, but it was great! They do a guided tour and talk about his life. Many items in the house are a bit eccentric which makes it fun. The cats have free roam of the grounds and the house. They ask that you do not disturb the cats, meaning don't wake up sleeping ones or be annoying but there were quite a few that willingly came up to me for pets and the staff does not mind if you pet them just dont disturb them. Actually when we bought the tickets at the ticket booth, there was a cat laying right on the counter sleeping. The ticket person put the tickets on the cat and my mom laid the money on the cat and it never moved. The cats basically run the house, because I guess that is the way hemingway had it. Many are polydactyl (spelling). There was not a whole lot of reference to his literature unless you went looking for it, it was more about how he lived and his life and some of what inspired some of his works. Anyway long story short, if your in to historical attractions, literature and/or cats its a great place to visit!

·
Registered
379 Posts
My wife and I were there last May. It was fun. There are a lot of cats running around the house. There was three cats in Hemmingways bed. The cat on the pillows at the head of the bed was Archie. He ruled the roost. The other two were the only kitties that were allowed (by Archie) to be on the bed!
A bunch of the kitties were of the six toed varity! You can pet the cats but they ask that you don't feed them.
Go and have fun.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
My husband and I got married in the gardens of the Hemingway House in 2008. It was absolutely great -- just my husband, myself, his brother and sister-in-law were there, having a very casual, relaxed wedding.

After the wedding we were walking around the grounds looking at kitties, and when I was sitting near the pool one of them climbed up on my lap and stayed for a while. That was really touching, considering he didn't know me from Adam. I think it was Archie, as a matter of fact.

The cutie that got in my lap:

Hemingway kitties waiting to be fed:

The garden spot where the wedding was:

Our B&B was adjacent to the Hemingway House, and many of the cats wandered over and sat around the pool. One morning we looked up and saw this:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts