Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... well to my surprise the PetMate Freshflow Fountain you all recommended to me arrived this evening! So, I put it together (as Andie slept in the box it was shipped in). Then, when I poured the water into it, Andie hopped out of the box and started drinking right out of the bowl part! It wasnt even plugged in yet... so funny! When I first plugged it in, it was making a loud vibrating noise, which was upsetting me. But after a few minutes, it stopped. Then it started with a kind of squeaking noise... but when I pressed down on the filter reservoir, it stopped. I heard it do it again before... but I got it to stop again. Seems that since I placed on a soft foodmat as oppossed to the hard floor, it was quieter. NOW, I cant hear it at all!
So, immediately upon plugging it in (even while it was making the vibrating sound), Andie walked right over and sniffed it. Then she started drinking. She insists on drinking from the part where the water flows from... and she likes to drink off the ramp too. But it certainly did not take her anytime to get used to it! I think this just may be the best purchase yet for Andie, aside from her fishing pole toy! (And I've bought her a lot of stuf!)
Thanks so much for your help! I hope Andie will be able to drink all the water she wants now!

·
Registered
454 Posts
It shouldn't be making any significant noises. It might be a good idea to recheck that the pump is properly closed, and the suction cups are holding it firmly to the bottom.

Yes, it's surprising how quickly the cats take to it. I got the same response from my cat.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awww, I wish I did have pics of her at the fountain and sleeping in the box, but I dont have a digital camera :x She looked so funny in the box, would have been a great pic.
I think I figured out the squeaking noise. On the directions, it said "fill filter reservoir with water to rim on small size only. SO, since the box I got said Medium, I did not put water into the filter reservoir. Anyways, when I put the water tank into it, all the water from there, drained into the filter reservoir. I just went out to the kitchen before, and the noise was back and worse. I realized there was no more water in the water tank, so I unplugged it, and filled it, and now it seemed to stop. I hope that was the cause of it. It was just confusing b/c the directions said that step was for the small size only.
Anyways.. I will let you know if I have any other issues... but I think its fixed.
P.S. Is it safe to leave this thing on (plugged in) while I am not at home?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think you're probably right on your guess of why it was noisy. There does need to be enough water in the bowl, or the pump won't operate correctly.

It shouldn't hurt to leave it running while you're gone, as long as you're not gone long enough for the water level to get down too far. The pump isn't much different than a pump on an aquarium power filter.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would only be leaving it on while I was at work, or if I was gone for the night. But I dont leave her for more than 24 hours on her own. I feel too bad. If I go away, I always bring her to my parents house. She is very spoiled!
So far, so good... noise stopped. Andie was snooping at it before... maybe she is ready for another drink!

·
Registered
917 Posts
i have found that mine makes noise when ever the water level gets too low, and also right when it starts after i clean it, until the water gets flowing right.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Hey, that is great to hear that she took so quickly to the fountain! Ditto what Faile said, those should be the only times it makes noise, otherwise it should be very quiet. And I leave mine on 24/7.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Is Freshflow better or Drinkwell pet fountain?

I want to get one so is Freshflow regular temp. water and the other is cold? Which one is better for leaving on when I am gone maybe 2-3 days?

Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't know if Freshflow can use larger bottles or not, but I've seen large expansion bottles available for the Drinkwell. If you were going to use a Freshflow, the medium size unit only holds 50 ounces of water. That might not be enough to leave for 2-3 days. I've not seen them, but I hear the large Freshflow holds more than twice the water. With the Drinkwell you could use an expansion bottle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the large Freshflow fountain and two cats. I have to change the water just about every other day on it or else it gets really low. I thought the reservoir would hold a lot of water but I'm finding it hard to keep up with my water fiend kitties!

They still obsess over the shower when my boyfriend or I get ready for work in the morning, though.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I saw on the Petco web site that they have a Freshflow fountain with a 108 oz. reservoir for only $5 more than the 50oz. size. I think I'm going to get one for my kitties on my next paycheck :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So far so good over here. Andie is still drinking from the FreshFlow fountain. Of course, she still sits in the tub, but at least she knows she can get running water elsewhere. So I am really glad I bought it. It was worth the money!

One question, last night, it started making a vibrating noise again. Now I know it vibrates when the water is low, but the water tank was more than half full. How much water needs to be in this thing for it to not vibrate? Its been fine since I refilled it last night, but does the entire filter reservoir and water tank need to be full all the time? I dont think I should have to refill it too often, being that I only have one little 10 pound kitty! lol. It's fine now... but just trying to get some input!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
we just got those freshflows in at work, i was tempted to get one. but £30.00 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Her reaction to Fresh Flow Fountain

:idea: Where does one get a Fresh-Flow Fountain? I missed out on the postings. I need two ; one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Walmart carries a model. PetSmart carries a couple of models. It seems like I saw them in Petco also. Additionally they are available online at some of the pet supply sites.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hate to keep plugging individual sites, but I got mine from Petguys.com. I priced around and they were the cheapest at $24 I think.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Drinkwell fountain. the major difference is that the Fresh-flow pours the water down a ramp immediately from the discharge opening, and the drinkwell allows the water to freefall for about 3 inches before it hits the receiving ramp. I chose the Drinkwell because my kitties seem to like the sound of falling water (they used to drink from the shower drip) Other than that, they are about the same, both provide a dynamic, oxygenated water flow, both use carbon filters to purify the water. Also, both fountains use a slightly modified aquarium filter pump to move the water. If you are getting vibration and sound, check the area where the water is drawn into the pump assembly. If any part of it is exposed to air, it will suck air bubbles into circulation causing vibration and sound. If you are experiencing vibration and sound with a completely full bowl, I suggest the following A: These pumps need to be primed at the inital filing to operate correctly or they will continue to cavitate and introduce air into the water flow . Lift off the top and pour water into the pump/filter housing, not the bowl. B. disassembling the impeller according to the manufacturer's instructions and lubricate with a drop or three of vegetable oil. The impeller (the plastic thingy with four blades) should be mounted to an eccentric (odd shaped) magnet which slips over a shaft. Place 1-3 drops of vegetable oil (cooking oil) on the shaft and reinstall the impeller. If you still experience sound and vibration, make sure that the energizer unit (the thing with the cord coming out of it) is properly seated. It should have a positive stop or snap to let you know when it is properly installed. If improperly seated it will draw air in from around the o-ring seal. If in doubt as to the integrity of the seal, use K-Y jelly to coat/seal the o-ring. (do not use vaseline or any other petroleum based lubricant as it will chemically react with and eat away at the o-ring). If after all this you still get vibration/sound, exchange the fountain for a new one. The impeller uses inductive current from the alternating current of your household power to energize the impeller. It's a really simple principle and if you are still experiencing problems it's possible you have an improperly balanced impeller assembly or an improperly wound energizer coil (sorry for the technical mumbo-jumbo). Good luck, my kitties increased their water consumption 3X when I got them my Drinkwell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts