Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I don't like Christmas music unless it's actually Christmas. But I do have a favorite, and it's because it's so darn cute and happy that I can't help but smile when I hear it. Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time". :D

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
That's one of the ONLY things about Christmas I enjoy. The music. I've had my holiday records spinning for about two weeks now.

·
Super Moderator
26,495 Posts
I love the song, Last Christmas, by George Michael.

I also love the song, Baby It's Cold Outside. Maybe not really a Christmas song, but it's played around the holidays.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I love Christmas music, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Jim Reeves, the list goes on...but then I'm an old fogey. My all-time favourite is John Lennon's Christmas song.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love Christmas music, Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Jim Reeves, the list goes on...but then I'm an old fogey. My all-time favourite is John Lennon's Christmas song.
Forgot about John Lennon's So This is Christmas. Makes me sad to hear that song knowing Lennon met such a tragic end.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Forgot about John Lennon's So This is Christmas. Makes me sad to hear that song knowing Lennon met such a tragic end.
I know. I was reminded that yesterday was the 30th anniversary of his death. I couldn't believe it happened so long ago. It feels like only 5 or 10 years...not 30!

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
My current favorite Christmas albums (it varies year to year) are by Bing Crosby and Perry Como. Last year it was Reba McEntire and Faith Hill (christmas albums only).

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
What do you mean? They both wrote some great songs, but IMO those two are the worst. Not sure what more I need say :p

Most Christmas music is pretty terrible. Exceptions being from Mozart and Bach, with the Pogues thrown in for good measure.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I clearly have very different taste. Lennon and McCartney's Christmas songs are AWFUL.
Agreed, Hugh. Every time I hear Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time, I almost get violent I hate it so much. And I'm a lifelong Beatles nut, which is probably the problem: I know he can do so much better. That song has about as much creativity as Mary Had A Little Lamb.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Agreed "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime" is the worst Christmas song ever.

"Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" is one I enjoy, though.

My faves

"Christmas in Hollis" Run DMC
"Christmas Wrapping" The Waitresses
"Merry Christmas From The Family" Robert Earl Keen Jr.
And the entire soundtrack of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. That reminds me of being a kid more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I love Christmas music! Even the cheesier songs. It all just makes me so cheery. I guess it brings up nostalgic feelings of childhood. :)

As far as things I actually really enjoy taste-wise though, I'm a huge fan of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra covers. I tend to like all the Christmas songs that are in minor keys.

Christmas Eve/Sarajevo is my personal favorite. It combines my two favorite Christmas pieces (Carol of the Bells and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen) and adds some movie score style flair to them.

I also admit I still get a pang of nostalgia when I hear Alvin and the Chimpmunks Christmas songs. ;) I grew up listening to those.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
And the entire soundtrack of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio. That reminds me of being a kid more than anything else.
Oh yes! I can't believe I forgot that one! I love that movie. Such fond childhood memories. I used to watch it every year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts