Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just a couple of months ago, I lost my beloved best friend Rum Tum and have been nursing a broken heart ever since. On Sunday, my mother told me a story about this cat in her neighborhood who's owners home had burned down and they had left the cat there. This cat had always been an outside cat and the elderly neighbor down the way was putting food out for it.

So I did exactly what my mother knew I would do. I went to the burned out house and I found the cat. She was filthy and reeked of smoke. I took her home, bathed her and set her up in my guest bedroom. Well lo and behold, she is a little lover girl. Just wants to be petted. So of course, I bought her toys and scratch pad so she could play. And I renamed her Trixabelle (Miss Trix, for short). I thought that maybe finding a home for her with a woman who stays at home would be a perfect fit for her. All I had to do is take her to the vet to make sure she checked out.

Well, she didn't checked out. She has a hard mass in her abdomen about the size of my fist. It's pressing a little on her bowels making it difficult for her to go. Devestated is probably how I would describe it. I couldn't believe this little angel was ill. And not just ill, but gravely ill. She has about 2 months left. Now I will be faced with the task of putting another cat to sleep in less than 6 months.

I loved Rum Tum so much and took extraordinary measures to save him and in the end, I couldn't. I could do ultrasounds and surgeries but in the end, would it do Trixabelle any good? The mass is so big and the vet doesn't have a good feeling about it.

I think I am just going to give her food, affection, and comfort till her time has come. It leves me raw inside, especially after everything I went through with Rum Tum. But there is no one else to take her. And I just think she deserves to be loved in her finally days.

Has anyone's cat ever experienced a large hard mass in the abdomen?

Thanks for listening.

Sarah

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
I don't know anything about the medical situation, but I'm really sorry to hear about the kitty. It must be awful to think about losing 2 kitties in such a short span of time. But if it looks like the outcome won't be good and that all the tests wouldn't be worth the stress it might cause the kitty, maybe the best thing is to do just what you're planning to do. You just want her to be happy for as long as she has.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Oh you ANGEL! Yes it will hurt when Miss Trix's time comes. But think how terrible it would have been for her to die alone. Because of you she is spending her last months surrounded by all the love and comfort she could possibly desire.

I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved Rum Tum. My feeling is that Rum Tum guided you and Miss Trix together, because she needed help and he knew she would get what she needed from you.

You are a real hero, and hopefully knowing that you've meant the world to Miss Trix will help support you when it is time for her to join Rum Tum at your Bridge.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Sarah,

It's so wonderful of you to have come to Trix's rescue at a time when her own family abandoned her. Do you have any idea how old she is? If she's less than teenage, and if she seems healthy other than the mass, I'd be inclined to do some further testing to try to determine the source of the mass. It's possible that it may be treatable or surgically removable. But if she's an elderly cat or has other potentially complicating maladies like advanced renal failure or some other chronic disease, then more diagnostic testing may be a moot point. Did the vet run a full blood chemistry, CBC, and Total T4 to check her overall health?

Laurie

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Ditto laurie. There could be MANY reasons for this "mass" and not all of them are fatal! I would explore things further if it were me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't want to give false hope but the shelter I got Hermione from had a cat named Leon. When they found Leon he also had a large mass in his stomach and they feared the worst. As it turned out, he had big balls of wadded up duck tape in his stomach! There are some cruel people in this world. But he had surgery and five years later; last month to be exact, he was adopted!
Is there anyway to investigate this further?
If it is what your vet believes it to be; I have to believe that cat came into your life for a reason......love. Hugs!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is so sad about you losing Rum Tum and now finding another kitty to give a good a home to and it looks like she may not have long to leave either. You are a saint, though and you are doing what is best for when her own family didn't. Having a peaceful and restful place to spend her last days is so much better than the suffering she would have experienced to deal with this mass on her stomach on her own outside around a burned down house.

Have you considered getting a second opinion on the mass?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree. Bloodwork should give you an idea if this mass is affecting her other organs negatively.

Thank you so much for saving her! Those people were not her family if they just left her behind. She is so lucky to have you!!!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
So sorry to hear about your new friend! :(
You did the right thing by saving her, now she will know what it's like to be loved and cared for in the proper way instead of being discareded like some burnt toy! It uphals me to hear what they did to her!
Everywhere around our house we have the SPCA stickers to let fire and rescue know we have a cat, just in case... Joy is a part of our family and I could never imagine leaving her alone in such a frightning situation.
My advice would to keep her as comfortable as possibe. Give her all the love and attention that you can. Let her know she is loved. She will cross that Rainbow bridge when her time comes and wait for you with Rum Tum!
My heart breaks for you. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
let's hope further tests DO show the mass is just something stuck in her belly or something "easily" curable. it's certainly a possibility! just heard a story on the radio the other day of a 6 year old boy who had had a little flexible lego tire stuck up his nose since he was 3 years old! he had trouble breathing for 3 years, but doctors never did an xray. they just assumed it was a sinus problem or infection and gave him antibiotics all those years. they finally found 1 doctor who suspected there was a foreign object up there and they finally got it out and it was surrounded by fungi! the poor kid is in great health now and breathes easily.

i just hope the outcome for ms trix is just as good. whatever happens, though, you are a saint for taking her in. i can't bear the thought of a sweet lovable kitty like that being so thoughtlessley abandoned! keeping all my toes and fingers crossed for you both.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts