Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the as-of-yet unnamed (I've been calling her Choco-cat for lack of a better name) kitty that I will be bringing home tomorrow. I'm assuming the cat's female because I was told so by the person who brought her in to the centre, but I haven't had an opportunity to verify that yet. She's a semi-feral cat that was trapped on Monday night by another trapper, but, as it turns out, she was already TNRed about 2 months ago--the trapper didn't notice her eartip. I remember noticing her when she came in the first time and thinking that it was a shame that she wasn't adoptable because she was such a beautiful and unique kitty.

Choco-cat was going to be returned to the colony today, but I've been thinking about her since she came in on Monday, and I couldn't let her go back knowing that she'd been returned to the colony previously and had managed to find her way back to the centre--almost like she was asking to be given a second chance. She's semi-feral, but less so than other cats I've socialized in the past, including Miss Autumn. Choco-cat was meowing when she was brought in, and, from the few minutes I spent getting her settled in her trap, it's obvious that she has the potential to be a pet again. It's sad, but we often have to return socialize-able cats to their colonies due to lack of resources. We had three consecutive feral spay/neuter clinic dates on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday this week, so most of us trappers were out catching cats; most of the cats we trapped were kittens, which is good in the sense that they'll be socialized and hopefully found homes for, but it means that anyone who had the space, ability, and patience to rehabilitate an adult semi-feral is waaaay too busy with kittens to try, especially since kittens are so much easier to socialize and get adopted. I had to at least try with Choco-cat though; the way she looked at me, I felt like she was asking me to help her.

And, considering her unusual colouration, I think I'll be easier to find her a forever home than it might otherwise be. Nope, it's not just a trick of the light, Choco-cat really is chocolate brown and white! I'll post more pictures once I get her home and settled, the photo above was taken with my phone camera while she was still in the trap.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Look at those Big Huge Eyes!!
Poor baby!
Good on you for giving her a chance!! :p

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Wow! Gorgeous! Send her my way. :p I'm the self proclaimed chocolate-obsessed cat and dog person, but I've never owned one... and likely never will since they're so rare outside of purebreds, especially for cats.

At the sanctuary of 700+ I can only think of one chocolate kitty, and they also have some white, although they're long haired with white feet, a bib, and a little white spot on their nose.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
She a beauty. She looks amazing calm in the trap!!!!!!

Thanks dt8thd for taking a chance on her. Must have been fate shes back again.

Looking forward to hearing about her.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What a sweet face.
I am sure she will repay you in lots of purrs and cuddles!
I certainly hope so. :)

Choco-cat is in her trap in my garage right now. She has a vet appointment tomorrow at noon, and, provided she gets a clean bill of health, I'll be moving her into a big crate in my room tomorrow afternoon. She is definitely not a feral cat, she meowed at me for food when I opened a can of wet at the Recovery Centre, tolerates brief light touches, and responds in kind to long slow blinks.

I'm pretty excited about her.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oh she is utterly stunning! Thank you for giving this baby a second chance. It is amazing how things like this work out! I've never actually seen a choco and white kitty before either - she is very unique!

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
What a pretty face! I think Choco or Cocoa are great names! Or Sepia or Henna. Those are synonym for chocolate. I'm looking forward to the updates already!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, I took Choco-cat to the vet today, and $300 dollars later, she's been given a clean bill of health. The vet thinks she's a few years old. She's pretty small and is quite skinny, but weighs more than I thought she would at about 7 lbs. She didn't want to come out of the trap at first, so I had to wrangle her out, but I was able to do so with my bare hands, and she wasn't at all aggressive; although I did get pooped on, so maybe she was a bit passive-aggressive, lol. Once I got her out of the trap, she sat in my arms and buried her face in my neck. Obviously a big bad feral. :D I knew she was pretty tame, but I didn't realize that she was that tame! I'm so glad I made the decision to bring her home. I don't know that she'll want me to pick her up right away, but knowing that I can with very little drama is awesome because it gives me an idea of where she's at, and having access to physical touch will really accellerate the socialization process.

Choco-cat has enjoyed every kind of food I've given her so far, but, wow, she demolished the can of Natural Balance - Duck and Pea I hand fed to her this afternoon! I'm going to continue to give her a variety of foods, so that she doesn't become a picky eater like Dinah (my previous foster) is, but I'll definitely be picking up some more NB tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Choco kitty!! Yea, good for you!!
Its so wonderful she's going to have a chance because of you!! :thumbup:
Looking forward to the further adventures of...Choco and you! :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the well-wishes everyone! I made sure to tell Choco-cat what you all thought of her, and she sends her thanks in the form of long, slow blinks of contentment.

And, thanks for the name suggestions Marcia! I haven't settled on anything yet, I have a bad habit of agonizing over cat names, but I love to hear everyone's ideas! :D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Choco-cat, despite trashing her crate the first night she spent in my room, is apparently quite fastidious. I was awoken at 4AM this morning to the sound of her using her litter box. I probably wouldn't have even really registered the sound, just rolled over and gone back to sleep... had she not then meowed every 5 seconds for the next half hour. And, Choco-cat does not have a quiet meow; nope, she has a loud, whiny Siamese meow. So, after about 20 minutes of listening to litter scraping and whining, I finally leaned down off the end of my bed to see her standing beside her litter box and staring at me, one paw inside, gesturing at the little pile of poop like "Well? Aren't you going to do something about that?!". Lol!

I did a bit of research on the genetics of chocolate-colored cats. Choco-cat's unique colour is unique because the gene responsible for chocolate-coloured cats is recessive and is only prevalent in a couple of breeds, such as the Oriental Shorthair, Burmese, and Havana Brown. So, for Choco-cat, whom I can only assume is a moggie, to be chocolate brown, both of her parents would have had to be carriers of the chocolate-colour gene, which would have given Choco-cat a 25% chance of being born with chocolate brown fur. I strongly suspect that Choco-cat had a purebred parent or grandparent(s) because of her colour, but also because of her shape, which is very much like that of a Siamese or Oriental.

One of the trappers who has been TNR-ing the colony where Choco-cat was caught said that they had trapped a litter of Choco-cat's kittens 3-4 months ago, and that 2 were brown/brown & white like Choco-cat, and the other 2 were seal or chocolate pointed, which was interesting to learn, since it would indicate that there's at least one other cat in the colony who's a carrier of the chocolate gene; perhaps a male sibling?

Anyway, I'll try to have pictures for you tonight.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Thanks for sharing the interesting background of genetics for 'Brown' coloured cats!! :p

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
She's lovely, and it's fun to hear her story unfold!

How about calling her Coco Chanel :) because she's elegant? Coco for short, of course...

Fran

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She's lovely, and it's fun to hear her story unfold!

How about calling her Coco Chanel :) because she's elegant? Coco for short, of course...

Fran
Thanks, I'll be sure to pass your compliment on. :)

Coco is a cute name. I'll have to take a look at her to see if she looks like a Coco. I enjoy the naming process, but it takes me a while sometimes to settle on a name. Ramona was really hard to name; none of the names we came up with seemed to really suit her. She was known as "kitten" for about 4 months before I finally settled on Ramona. :roll:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Choco-cat spent her first day in my room in her crate, but I decided to let her out the following day, as she was interested in exploring, and I needed to clean up the mess she had made of the crate's interior anyway. She was fine all day on Monday and on Monday night, and she was happy to eat her food out of my hand on Tuesday morning, but when I got home from work on Tuesday, she seemed quite scared and had peed on my bed. I tried to reassure her, sprayed some Feliway on the sheet over top of her crate, scooped her pan (which did have pee in it), and pulled off my sheets and mattress cover, only to realize that the pee had soaked in all the way down to the mattress! So, I pretreated the sheets and threw them in the wash; I also used laundry soap, plus a pet stain and odour eliminator on the mattress, which seems to have worked. I ran downstairs to the laundry room to put the sheets in the machine, come back upstairs, and walked in on Choco-cat peeing smack dab in the centre of the mattress!

Choco-cat is back in her crate for a while. I'll try letting her out again when she's had a bit more time to get used to the smells and sounds of her new environment. It's entirely possible that Choco-cat smells my last foster, Dinah, on the bed, but I can't really wash the mattress to get rid of the smell if that's the case. I did vacuum the whole room, including the mattress, really thoroughly right before I moved Choco-cat in, but I'm not a cat, so I can't tell if the bed still smells like Dinah or not.

Anyway, here's a picture of Miss Choco-cat hanging out behind my curtains, before she violated her probation. ;)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts