Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings & good health to all.
I am new here on this forum & would like to share this story.
My wife & I have two wonderful older female cats,Shadow 12yrs,18lbs & Cindy11yrs 7lbs.We rescued them from the shelter when they were very young.They are mostly indoor cats that occasionally venture into the backyard on a leash(Cindy only, Shadow's too heavy to jump the fence)It's a very confortable home we have.
I am a postman & on my daily delievery,I have numerous cats & dogs that get their daily treats from me.They all are exsited to see me when I approach them knowing I have something good for them.There is 1 young male tabby that has grown perticullarly fond of me & will follow me from street to street.All the people in my area loves the way this cat & I have bonded.Well the (irresponsible) owners of this cat moved away 2 weeks ago & left him behind(tears my heart out).One of the nieghbors left a note in their mailbox for me, stating that the cat has been abandoned, & knowing how much we like each other,if I would want it.
I talked it over with my wife & the next day,I went & rescued Jackson.It was raining when I found him so he was soaked & it looked like he was in a fight the previous night with a cut above his left eye & some hair pulled out behind his head, so it was time for him to have a better life.
I got him into a carrier(no problem) & to the vets for a checkup & shots.The vet was very impressed with his temper etc. & as I drove him to his new home,I opened the cage & he curled up on the front seat & fell asleep.
Now the BIG test,we got home & we have a room ready for him,food, water & a litter box into place. He immeadiatly went under the bed,where he still is.The other cats are somewhat curious to whats going on & Cindy was hissing at us.I will slooowly introduce these cats to each other & with alot of time & patience,I feel it all will work out.I know there might be a scrap or two,but that is to be expected. Wish me luck...

·
Registered
709 Posts
kitty

I'm so glad to hear that you rescued a cat!

My frend brought a cat home that did the exact same thing...she hid underneath the bed and then slowly came out to visit the resident cat. She did it on her own, i don't think my frend did anything at all to introduce here but everything turned out fine. they're still not best frends but they get along. I think you'll be able to work this out fine!

best of luck!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
First of all: Welcome to the forum!!!! :D

Secondly, I think the introduction will go well. Once he get used to the enviroment and all he'll be all buddies with the other cats. Perhaps you could drop some vanilla extract on all cats so they smell the same, then it might be easier to accept the newcomer.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here's an up date after the first 24 hrs.
Jackson has ventured out from under the bed & is now resting on a pirch that I installed for the other cats infront of the window. He is eating like a fiend...The other 2 cats know he's behind the door so they sit outside of it in the hallway looking.Every now & then Shadow will approach the door, scratch at it & hiss if Jackson is on the other side.I think it's the calm before the storm...

·
Registered
697 Posts
I love hearing rescue stories. You and wife are absolutely wonderful for taking Jackson in. That makes me so mad about the owner abandoning him. We had a situation like that in our neighborhood where this maine coon wandered and down the street looking at all of us with this look "will you take me?". Turns out for a while my neighbor across the street and I share custody. They take her in at night and I get her during the day. She even has 2 different names. Well anyway since then a different stray adopted me and those 2 get along just fine. However my so called resident cat (a Siamese mix) hates her and will shred her at ever chance she gets. So that introduction is so failing.

Good luck and I can tell with your patience and love you all be one happy family. I hope ours works out soonest.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am so happy you were there for Jackson - what a wonderful thing to do.
Give him some time to re-adjust to the new environment - with the love and attention that you have for him he will soon feel at home
Follow the directions from Dr Jean's site as for a proper introduction to be made between him and your other cat(S?)

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... roductions

Also put a drop of vanilla on the backs of all of your kitties necks in order to make them smell alike - that should accelelrate the process of them liking each other, growing accustomed first actually
Let us know how Jackson is doing :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh I'm so glad to hear you took him in. My dad's a postman too, and he always brings treats for the dogs on his route. He always has stories, he talks about the animals - cats and dogs - like he knows them so well... well, I guess he does! In any case, it's so very sad that these people left their cat there. I don't understand people sometimes. :( I wish you much luck, but I am very sure it will all work out for the best, and they'll all be good friends in no time. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well,one week later & all is well. Jackson is now venturing about the house(with caution in some areas) There has been no fights...yet...He likes to lay either on the stairs or under the dinning room table on the chairs.I think he can get a good view of everything going on around him. Shadow seems to hiss alot & growls but that is the extent & Cindy just goes about her business,looking for affection more often than not. So far,so good...
Thank you all for your comments & advise

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
What a great story - you a wonderful man for doing what you did.

It sounds like you're going the right way with things. When we brought our third cat into our house, it took about a month before everything returned back to normal and the cats got along, so be patient.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts