Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a case each of Innova and Evo (13.2 oz cans) since it was free shipping on orders over a certain amount. It comes out to less than 50¢ a 3.3 oz can which is less than half the price I was paying for Blue Buffalo. It should last her the next few years. I hope she likes it, but she's not usually a picky eater. :eek:nekitty

·
Registered
520 Posts
Don't know what source Pineapple uses, but I get almost all my cat food through Amazon with free shipping. Usually get the 5.5 ounce cans, Weruva (Paw Lickin Chicken, Nine Livers) and Wellness (Core and Turkey). Weruva is about $1.33 each for 24 cans, Wellness Turkey the same and Core about $1.65. I also get EVO 13.2 ounce cans, but not through Amazon as I've never seen free shipping on them, but a local, small pet store sells cases of 12 for $2.30 each, meaning $27, plus tax, still a bargain for 13.2 ounces).

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it won't last her a few years, but it will last awhile. :p I got it here: http://www.petfoodstation.com. They had free shipping on orders over $50 and a 10% discount advert on the cat food page. I'm pretty sure I did the math right, and it comes to 35¢ a 3.3 oz can if I was measuring it that way. Hopefully it will come quickly. :) I've never used them before or bought such large cans.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Just checked out the Petfoodstation link. For Weruva 5.5 ounce cans, even after applying the 10 percent order discount, the prices are 20-25 percent higher than Amazon, for all varieties. For Wellness Core, likewise it is higher than Amazon, but by a more modest amount. For Wellness Turkey and Chicken, if you can apply the current sale price PLUS the 10 percent order discount in addition, Petfoodstation would be 10 percent less than Amazon--that is, they are matching Amazon's price, plus if they offer a 10 percent discount, they are better. And for EVO 13.2 ounces, with the 10 percent discount and no sales tax, they are also 10-15 percent better than my local store.

So, as often happens, it pays to comparison shop online--and it's so easy to do so. Plus, no sales tax and no gasoline to pay, as it comes right to your front door.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for suggesting Amazon, NewRescue! I hadn't thought of that, and I had to double my order with petfoodstation to get the free shipping. Did you see if Amazon had the 13.2 oz cans? I'll have to go look; it seemed like it saved a few dollars to buy the bigger cans, and I'll just refrigerate leftovers. :)

I bought the venison EVO. My cat is eating so much better than me. :p Switching to canned, I can't really afford NOT to shop online for it. As it is, she's still getting half dry and half wet, but I'd really like to give her 75% wet and just a tiny dry (or completely wet), and I can afford it at the online prices.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Amazon gives free shipping for orders over $25, which covers most 24-can cases. The band news is that, so far, the EVO 13.2 ounce cans are routed by Amazon through Petco, which charges $9-10 for shipping and thus makes it uneconomical, compared to Petfoodstation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aaah that makes sense. Well, in 4 months (that's about how long the ones I bought should last), hopefully petfoodstation will still have the free shipping over $50. It's like an extra $20 in shipping without that. Amazon is a good back up.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I like:

Pet Food Online | Dog & Cat Supplies & Products | PetFoodDirect.com

with the 15%-20% discount code not only is the shipping free, but you end up saving a buck or two from the retail price. I also like they don't mark up the product too much to begin with.

I buy Weruva. On petfoodstation, they had it for $49+/case of 5.5 oz cans. On petfooddirect, they have the same case for $36+. With the huge mark up, the free shipping is not such a good deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link! :) I've bookmarked it. I think I ended up spending 6-7¢/oz. The prices for Innova and EVO looked about comparable – maybe a few dollars more at Pet Food Station. I'll have to see how much it will be with shipping and the discount next time I need to order. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Update

on my earlier post. I had said Petfoodstation, when discounts are applied, was cheaper for 13.2 oz EVO cans than my local pet food store. Wrong! I just checked this evening, and my local store sells a case of 12 13.2 ounce cans for $21, or $1.75 per can. I can't find a better price anywhere. It's the Cat & KItten formula, not Venison.

Just reinforces the point--since good quality commercial cat food ain't cheap, it pays to comparison shop. Amazon seems best for some varieties, w/free shipping, like Weruva, but not all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is cheap! How nice! We don't have too many local pet food shops around here; they're all Petco/PetSmart. The closest local shop is going out of business, and I never checked if they had higher quality food. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
No real local shops for me to go to. I'm going later this week to see if they have Newman's own at our one grocery. Can someone help me with a guess on how much I should be feeding my boy? He's 4y, about 10lbs and def on the thinner side. Is it one 3oz can a day? half a 5oz can? Just a little bit of dry? I would like to get the EVO wet variety pack (from the link dweam listed) and see what he likes with a little quality dry thrown in. Just need to see how much he should eat so I know how many to order.
Sorry if it's a silly question. Total newbie. :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When I was feeding EVO...

I would feed about 1/4 cup dry per feeding 2x/day and 1/2 5.5 oz can per day to Azalia whose about 11 lbs, but she puts on weight quite easily.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
How much to feed will depend a lot on the activity level of the cat, so you'll have to experiment a bit, although 3 oz of wet per day (with no dry) seems a bit on the low side to me. When my girls eat only wet, they typically consume about 4-5 oz per day, each. They're only 7.5 lbs and 8.5 lbs, but are both very active.

·
Registered
47 Posts
He's pretty laid back. "Chill" as my DH says. The most playing he does is when my kids run with string/shoelace. Once he sees the string, it's on LoL
I'll start with the 1/4C dry 2x a day and the 5oz can split. Heading out to the Japanese version of Walmart to see if they have any good brands there. If not, I believe there is a fancy pet store a bit further up.
I'll prob stick with the dry purina he has now and add in the good wet. Then slowly start switching over the dry to a good dry. Does that sound ok? I don't want to upset his system.
Thanks again :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts