Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is what my cats have. It flares up now and then and I'm pretty sure Magic gave it to Maleke. I think Magic got it from the shelter. Maleke has an eye infection now, blamed on Herpes virus, and is on antibiotics. Last winter they both got a horrible cold, and were on antibiotics and eye drops then too. Also Herpes virus. Does anyone else have this problem with their cat? I don't get it, my cats are indoor, fed top quality foods and live a very good life with no stress, why would this keep flaring up in them? It's expensive!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I know it is puzzling, Maleke
I had the same problem with Frosty late last year. His eye had a bad ulcer. There are at least 4 more white kitties in the yard that are Frosty's feral brothers or sisters - they all look alike : white with slight siamese markings and they have never experienced this problem. I believe that to a certain extent a living organism can become immune to different bacterias. That is how I explain how Frosty, who is an indoor cat, got such a bad case of FLV and they, who lived outside in the bad winter cold, didn't get it - although I am sure they were massively exposed to it.
I have seen cases of small kittens - that unfortunately I couldn't catch - where they had a very bad case of eye ulcer. They came from 2 different litters. One kitten passed away. The other one is getting better. Although this feral colony I take care of is quiete big the cats seem to be pretty healthy and a few have been tested for major diseases and have been altered+shots. There will be 5 more cats next week that will undergo the same process - thank goodness for Operation Catnip

As for trying to cope with the virus - try giving them Easter C Powder and L-Lysene. We have to ask Dr. Jean or your vet about the dosage or if it is ok to give it to them both vitamims at one time or at separate meals.
Their role is to help boost the immune system added to the antibiotics work
I hope your babies will be getting better soon

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here's an article on herpes that will give you some info on dealing with it including how to give the lysine:
http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... unctivitis

Recently I learned a method called homitoxicology that is related to homeopathy; I am getting good results with my herpes kitty. Too soon to say if it's a fluke or not, but keep your ears open, I will report later!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
611 Posts
Herpes is more common than we might think. According to my vet, a lot of times eye problems are incorrectly diagnosed when in fact they are chronic inflammation due to herpes. This is most likely the case with my cat. The conversation veered to herpes because my cat is missing teeth and has had chronic eye problems. The vet believes that some previous vet tried removing teeth on the theory that an abcessed tooth (or whatever it is) was causing the problem.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
According to my vet ophthalmologist pal, all cats have been exposed to herpes (by vaccination if nothing else, herpes is the "rhinotracheitis" part of the distemper/upper respiratory vaccine), and virtually all cases of conjunctivitis/inflammation/redness/ulcers are due to herpes. He rarely sees anything else. I used to refer cats to him that didn't respond to my efforts, and every one came back as herpes.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
676 Posts
One of my cats, Tage, has this. I've been dealing with it since he was very young. Though for years we did not know what it was. He came to me in foster care from a lady who could no longer house them, as 6 weeks old. A couple months later he fell very very ill, what I'm left with is an active herpes infection.
It would appear that Asim and Isha show signs of being exposed to his chronic herpes, but only in a secondary manner, and are not as problematic.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Dr. Jean, I have a question for you regarding Herpes and Clamydia.

My breeder told me that when the kittens (the whole litter) was put on medication for a suspected clamydia (they hadn't gotten the test results then) the vet took samples from all kittens in the litter to see if they had herpes or clamydia. None of them tested positive.

Is it possible to contract that later, like now when they are 19 week old? Or is a negative test always a negative test?

You know the problems my kitten, Suzy, had with her eyes and you suspected it could be something worse then just a cold. So that's why I'm asking. The kitten seem healthy even if she seem to have a stenose or something in her nose (why else does she breathe funny at times, but not always and usually when she sleeps - could it be snoring?). I can't see any dried secretion either from her eyes or nose that would cause it either. Her eyes is still clear and no swelling of her third eyelid.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If they were treated, they should be clear. Chlamydia is a bacteria, easier to kill than a virus.

A lot of cats do snore, so if there aren't any other symptoms, it's probably nothing. However, if you have any doubts at all, have the vet check it.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it makes you feel any better Cyberpet, my Siamese cat Maleke snored when he was a kitten too! It was SOOO cute! It actually was so loud at times that it woke me up!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts