Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it had to happen, sometime. I've had Hershey since last March. My Fab Four have plumbed virtually every square inch of the house they had access to (ixnay on the unfinished basement), except that no one had ventured on top of the fridge. I keep cereal boxes, chips and a box of Pepperidge Farm cheddar-flavored goldfish there.

Until last evening, that is. A friend of mine from Canada called, while I was making dinner, so I took the turkey cheeseburgers I was making on the Jenn-air grill and put them in the cold toaster oven when done, to protect them from the cats. Hersh immediately took notice, and when he couldn't get into the toaster oven, he started looking for other ways of getting into trouble. He hopped onto a platform above the stove, and from there he looked ominously towards the fridge top. I told him no and got him down but figured it was now a matter of time. Indeed, it was the matter of less than an hour. I exited the kitchen at some point, and 30 minutes later, when I came back in, there were cereal boxes on the floor, together with the cheddar goldfish. He had obviously eaten some goldfish, but not many, and maybe none of the Corn Chex, the only opened box. I put everything to the edge of the fridge, as a deterrent, and hoped against hope that might work.

Hah! When I came downstairs this am, the same items were on the floor again, plus I found the cheddar Sunchips bag ripped open. Hersh got a small dose of diarrhea this afternoon, in the litterbox for the most part. I don't know if he has decided he likes or dislikes cheddar-flavored snacks, but they are now in a cupboard. The cereal boxes are too big--if he really wants Cheerios, Corn Chex or Total, they are still accessible, though I feed my cats grain-free, so I don't want him to start craving this stuff.

And it is only a matter of time before Little Hersh, Blizzy and Snowball follow in his footsteps, though not yet.

So my 11-month honeymoon period of being able to store snacks in that space has come to an end. Sigh! I knew it would, sooner or later. Can I blame this on Canadians? After all, the call indirectly made it happen. No, too many Canadians on CatForum for me to do that--besides, they've been nice to me!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Wait a minute...wait a minute...let me find that quote. Ah, yes. Here it is, posted in another thread just a little while ago:

As for litterbox on the fridge, that is the one area no kitty has tried to reach so far, so I can keep tall cereal boxes and chips bags there without fear.
You spoke too soon, NRD! Indeed, you are the master of your own destiny. And you would blame the Canadians! Harumpph...

And, yes, we have been very nice to you. :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yep I came home from work the other day to discover my fridge top was all on the floor - the only thing they got into was bread. Not sure which one did it but looked like whoever did - had fuN! Needless to say everything up there is now stored in cupboards.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep I came home from work the other day to discover my fridge top was all on the floor - the only thing they got into was bread. Not sure which one did it but looked like whoever did - had fuN! Needless to say everything up there is now stored in cupboards.
Hmmm. Since social networking (Facebook, Twitter, etc) is now being used to organize all kinds of events, I am beginning to wonder if your guys and mine may have been communicating about this, lol, and have organized a group fridgetop raid! I hope they have not set up their own Facebook pages yet--at least, when Facebook gives suggestions for friends, it hasn't listed my cats yet, but maybe that's only a matter of time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts