Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hugo, my 3 year old male cat (neutered) has gone nuts. Whenever I'm home, it seems like he's always vocalizing and always scratching at either the front or back doors. Whenever I'm in my studio space (where he's definately not allowed), he'll scratch and whine and claw at the door until I come out.
Whenever I open the front or back door to the apartment, he's right there, ready to bolt outside. We've even gone as far to get him a harness and leash, and yes - my partner and I have taken him for walks outside (luckily our city neighborhood isn't THAT busy.) Not surprisingly, however, is that Hugo is less inclined to go out exploring when he's on the leash (....I assume he's taking after me - just as stubborn and anti-authoritarian.)
My partner and I have plans to cohabitate really soon, and we've taken the steps to introduce my two cats (Hugo and a skittish female cat) to her female cat. All the hissing and grolwing has tapered off, and soon we plan to bring the cats to one another's places overnight.
Now, we hope that my partner's dominant female cat will counter-balance Hugo, my dominant male cat. I doubt it'll squash his craving to go outside, but we're hoping.
So, my question is...
How do I get Hugo to shut up, behave, and not keep us up all night? I don't want to have to keep him in the bathroom everynight for the next 18 years!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and he's always been this way, in one way or another. Part of the reason I picked him from the shelter is that he was the most agressively playful. He still is, too.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
If you have a yard, even a small one, a play yard enclosed with wire top, sides, and bottom would be great. If you could put in a kitty door which will lead to the play yard, it would be better yet. He could make his own choices any time he wanted. I hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We live in a city - 3rd floor of the apartment building and wihtout any kind of yard that he could take domain of.
We have no plans to move or get property with a yard....

·
Registered
706 Posts

i was thinking maybe he's just bored :wink: :?: do you have lots for them to play with and do they actually play with it all? i've heard about a toy called da bird that keeps cats busy. here, i went and found a sight that tells about da bird,

http://cats.about.com/cs/playforcats/gr/dabird.htm

It's really not all that pricy either at the most i'd say $10 so if you wanna try it, i'd recommend it. but other then boredom i couldn't ges why hugo would want out, maybe he just doesn't like closed doors :lol: :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts