Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote yesterday about the stray cat I was taking in that was around my apartment complex. Well, we managed to catch him yesterday and we brought him to the vet. After lots of medicine and $180! he was ready to live with me. So last night I felt bad for him, he wasn't going to the bathroom in the litter pan..he ended up peeing all over himself. We wiped him off with a wet paper towel and then I made a stupid suggestions, lets take him for a walk on the leash. Now the leash has a harness and everything. Anyways, really really dumb on my part. He got off the leash and ran off. Now he is back outside again! I saw him later that night walking around but when my b/f stepped outside he ran off again. I put food out for him and I'm sure he won't leave that area (he never has) but I'm afraid we won't be able to catch him again! I mean, maybe when he sees us he thinks, "those are the people who keep capturing me and they even took me to the vet!" and he won't let us catch him. The vet said he could become a really good house cat with a lot of patience and work but how can I accomplish it without having him in the house? I really want him back, I'm sad he is gone plus not to sound mean or anything, $180 is a lot of money!!!! So what do you all think? :(

·
Registered
192 Posts
put some tuna or liver out there... good luck. i spent about $140 on med bills only on my kitties in less than a week and i thought that was bad.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Do you have access to a live trap? If not you can rent one from your humane society for pretty inexpesive. You just put some food in there and when he goes in to eat the door will close. It doesnt hurt them at all. Then you can bring him in and let him go inside the house.

Also if he has never lived inside before he will probably take a little time to get used to the idea. He may try to sneak outside all the time to. If you just are firm and patient he will probably adjust ok.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
RarePuss said:
I'm going to differ from others here and say leave the cat outside. Chalk up $180 to lesson learned. He seems pretty happy and well adjusted. Unless you really like him, or think he'll be well suited for living inside, just let him be. Just my .02cents :?
Leaving the cat outside can kill it. Cars, wild animals, other strays, diseases, you name it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Aonir said:
RarePuss said:
I'm going to differ from others here and say leave the cat outside. Chalk up $180 to lesson learned. He seems pretty happy and well adjusted. Unless you really like him, or think he'll be well suited for living inside, just let him be. Just my .02cents :?
Leaving the cat outside can kill it. Cars, wild animals, other strays, diseases, you name it.
I agree, although this particular cat seems to be doing ok without anyone's help :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
BoscosMum said:
I dunno??? Vet bills were $180.00. This cat must have needed care.
I'm sure there was some treatment, maybe standard things like de-worming, shots, ear medicine, and regular office visit fees, etc? Until we know what was done, it's not practical to guess.

It's jsut my opinion that to take a cat out of an environment he's known for years and to try to ask it to live in an enclosed space, like an apartment, is a lot and maybe not something that should be done 'in this case'. Again, it's all on case by cases basis anyway. :cry:

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I personally don't think that any cat should live outside, so I hope your able to get your kitty back in soon. That's really unfortunate that he got so scared when he was on the harness.

Although this cat hasn't gotten hurt yet, I think it is a bit short-sighted to assume that he won't get hurt outside in the future. To me it is like telling a smoker that it is okay to smoke because they haven't died of lung cancer yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't checked this site all weekend so I didn't notice I had so many responses!!! Thank you for them all, Friday night I was able to catch him and bring him in the house. To answer some questions...the treatments that were done to him at the doctor were shots, the normal exam, he needed medicine for ear mites and he had an eye infection. I talked to the doctor about him not liking the fact that he is stuck in the apartment and she said that she thinks it will not be a problem. She also said that with the proper love and care he will make a great house cat. As for him being safe outside, he has already been attacked by a cat once. He was a house cat and he has only been outside for a few months. On top of the fact that he was in the house before, the owners treated him very bad. They left him in the basement all the time. I think the reason he was so scared at first was because we had him in the basement. I found out afterwards about them leaving him in the basement so we cleaned the spare bedroom and put him in there on Friday. He is adjusting very well. He loves it in the bedroom, he sits in the window sill. He especially loves it when we give him attention. He seems very happy and so am I to have him back!!! Again, thanks for all your replies!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Oh I am so happy he is back....safe and sound and well loved!!!
Good for you!!! Maybe you could spoil him some more and get him a
big cat tree to lounge around on! He will love his room even more!

·
Registered
983 Posts
dusty83 said:
I haven't checked this site all weekend so I didn't notice I had so many responses!!! Thank you for them all, Friday night I was able to catch him and bring him in the house. To answer some questions...the treatments that were done to him at the doctor were shots, the normal exam, he needed medicine for ear mites and he had an eye infection. I talked to the doctor about him not liking the fact that he is stuck in the apartment and she said that she thinks it will not be a problem. She also said that with the proper love and care he will make a great house cat. As for him being safe outside, he has already been attacked by a cat once. He was a house cat and he has only been outside for a few months. On top of the fact that he was in the house before, the owners treated him very bad. They left him in the basement all the time. I think the reason he was so scared at first was because we had him in the basement. I found out afterwards about them leaving him in the basement so we cleaned the spare bedroom and put him in there on Friday. He is adjusting very well. He loves it in the bedroom, he sits in the window sill. He especially loves it when we give him attention. He seems very happy and so am I to have him back!!! Again, thanks for all your replies!
I'm going to humbly take back what I said :) on the count of this new information and this being an inside cat to begin with, i think you did an amazing job and congrats keeping him! :D

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm glad you found him :D He seems to be adjusting well. It will probably just take some time and patience. You seem to know alot about his background, so that should help out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
What a fantastic story! Here's to new beginnings, Cheers! :wink: Kitty is blessed to have someone like you so kind, caring and truly concerned. What did you name him? Send pics if you can, I love rescue storys :) So very happy for you all! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I named him Sebastian. The name just came to my head when I was looking at him and it just stuck. Thanks for all your replies!! As an update, he is doing terrific!! He doesn't even stay in the room anymore. But last night, I kept the door open for the first time and now I couldn't find him this morning!! So hopefully he'll be out and about when I stop home on my lunch break. My other cat and him seem to get along ok, but my other cat is always starting fights with Sebastian and the problem is he doesn't like to play and fight. So I feel bad for him. But everything is going good, he seems very happy now and loves our attention!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts