Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He doesn't like the food he usually eats. Then i tried all sorts of brands and flavors. I tried quality food. Nonthin. Then i tried cooked chicken which he usually loves tonight. Nope. I'm terrified it's coming to the end. He stills acts ok. Not lathargic, eyes are good, gum color good. He has stage 4 renal failure. This is freaking me out. I'm going to try commercial raw food tomorrow. I also don't have the money to take him to the vet till next month for blood work and fluids. I know the vet won't let me take him now and let me pay later. I restarted him on an acid reducer after 10 months off it in which he did well off of it. He won't eat the food with the potassium in it so i stopped it 6 months ago. Help, I'm desperate. I'm afraid i'm losing him.

Kathy

·
Registered
21 Posts
try looking up low-cost vet clinics near your area. there are many non-profit organizations that also offer financial aid for owners who can't afford vet visits. try asking around at the shelters in your area too. oh, and I'm sure that there are vet clinics that offer financial aid and discounts if you can't afford something.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your cat's downturn. In stage 4 CRF, your cat would almost certainly be doing better if he were receiving daily subQ fluids (unless he has any type of heart disease). It's not difficult to learn how to administer subQ fluids at home, and it can be done quite economically with prescriptions from your vet. Some vets charge as much as $25 for a single bag of Lactated Ringers (fluid), but with a prescription, you should be able to buy a case of 12 bags of Ringers for right around $25 from a pharmacy. IV lines and needles can also be purchased inexpensively, usually without a prescription (unless you live in certain states that require prescriptions for those items).

In any event, keeping your boy properly hydrated with subQ fluids can help improve the appetite and make him feel MUCH better overall. It's certainly worth a call to your vet to ask about prescriptions for fluids so that you can start that therapy at home. Honestly, subQ fluids are the single most important thing you can do for your boy to help him feel better.

Laurie

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had the same problem. The vet gave my cat Nutrical (only about 14 bucks) so you could try calling and asking about that. Also, to keep kitty hydrated I would recommend giving him pedialyte. Shoot a little bit at a time into the back of his mouth with a syringe.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Shoot a little bit at a time into the back of his mouth with a syringe.
Never shoot liquid into the back of the mouth, it could cause a cat to choke. Insert the syringe between the teeth and cheek and gently squeeze it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts