Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just adopted a pair of bengals kittens a few months ago (a six month old, and a 5 month old). One of the 5 months old kitten has taken to peeing on white things, such as my white winter coat that happen to fall on the floor. This morning he peed on my daughter's duvet, the second time this week!

He manages to make it to the litter box, which is an automatic one, that we clean out one or two times a day. He just pees on the white things.

Does anyone know why he might be doing this? I'll take any advice I can get.

:?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Is he neutered? He may actually be spraying/marking his territory. As for ONLY the white things, are you sure? You see the stains on white things more clearly. Are you sure he's using the litter box? I suggest getting him neuter (if not already done so), then give your house a scrub down to get rid of any scent/trace of his previous markings

·
Registered
122 Posts
Actaeon said:
Hes was neutered in his third month and, until last week, was very good about using the litter box.
are you saying he was neutered at 3 months of age? that could be the reason.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I thought it was a little strange, but when talking to a couple of vets, this seems to be the new trend. The vets didn't seem to have any issues with the fact that he was neutered so young.

He has never had any issues with this before, it two weeks ago, when he just peed on my coat. I didn't see him do it, but his toy he plays with all the time, was just sitting right next to the pool of urine.

We scolded him, stuck his face in it and then walked him over to the litter box as advised by friends if this should happen.

Is it possible that he could be having an incontinence problems? Any ideas on how we can stop this?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Humane Society kittens are neutered/spayed as young as 8 weeks. It's a very dangerous practice though.

Does he have any blood in it? Or seem to have problems urinating? I change of behavour like that normally means somethings wrong and should be taken to the vet.

·
Registered
282 Posts
NEVER NEVER scold and stick their faces in the mess! They have no idea what that means or why you are doing that. Just clean it up, put the wet paper towels in their litter box, and then wash up with an enzymatic cleaner. If you catch him in the act, say no and put him in the box.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I second that, Rayona. All scolding and punishing does is make the cat afraid of you.

A urinary tract infection would be unusual in so young a cat but not impossible. Especially if they're getting only dry food. So...Time for a trip to the vet!

Beyond that, there are only about 2 zillion reasons why a cat will go outside the box. See articles on litterbox behavior in our free library at
http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ack! Your friends who told you to stick his face in it were wrong. People do this with dogs, but cats are not dogs and do not learn this way. It can make things worse.

Cats do not pee places because they want to make you mad, or make a point...cats don't like to be messy and will use their litterbox if there's nothing else wrong with them, physically or emotionally. Example: my kitty peed on my bed twice, had been great about his litterbox, then I was advised that he had separation anxiety b/c I began locking him out of the bedroom at night and he didn't know why. I fixed the problem by getting him used to a schedule where he played, he got fed, and then we shut the door. He hasn't had a problem since -- kitties love routine, and THIS is something that they understand.

First, trip to the vet to rule out urinary tract problems. That's the number one reason cats go outside their box. Second, wash the 'peed on' with an enzyme cleaner like Get Serious, Nature's miracle, or Petzyme. Kitties can smell their own pee through detergents and soaps, even if you can't. And if they smell it, they'll just pee there again. Like I said, anxiety could be an issue. Has anything changed in your house recently? A move, new people, etc? He might also have anxiety over the punishment. As mentioned, he doesn't understand this.

He might not like his litterbox or the litter, or he might not like sharing with his sister, even if he did before. I'd try getting another kind of litterbox with another kind of litter in it, keep both of them out, and see if this makes a difference. If you have two kitties you should have two litterboxes anyway.

I also tried Feliway -- it worked great. It is facial pheromones in a spray bottle or plug-in diffuser. The diffuser covers a larger area and then you don't need to spray it 2-3 times a day. It helps to calm cats that might have anxiety, and deter the peeing behavior.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts