Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....nice to see some fellow cat lovers here!

I've been into cats the last 2-3 years since I started dating a girl who had a pair. Eventually our relationship didn't work out but I still wanted to come over her house each weekend to see her two cute grey hair tabbies! :)

I really like cats and want to have one but make excuses left and right to avoid having one. From being worried about having sheets and furniture torn and scratched, to litter box smells, cables being bitten, etc. And even though I have my own place I'm worried about people being allergic to cats, in particular my mom.

So anyways, maybe the brain trust here can figure out a way to get over the hump. It's not a big deal I'm sure. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hi and welcome. All of the problems you mentioned can be avoided. I have no problems with litter box smells, since I use a good litter and scoop regularly. My girls don't scratch the furniture (never even thought of them scratching the sheets). They have lots of scratch posts and cat trees and they only ever scratch those...plus an old rug that I have, which they seem to love to scratch, but I don't worry about that since I don't much like the rug anyway! I keep my cables tucked away behind furniture so they can't get at them. As for your Mom...if you have your own place, presumably your Mom doesn't live with you. If allergies trouble her, you can always visit your Mom at her home, rather than your Mom coming to your place. And think of the bright side...that way you don't have to clean up in advance of Mom's visit!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If your mom isn't very allergic , perhaps allergy meds can help? I have allergic friends who take benadryl or something similar when they come here.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Go for it - get a cat - all the worries you have - I once had and now own two!! (that of course is a matter of opinion - I think sometimes that they actually own me) And believe me when I say it was the best decision I ever made.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Go out and get one. Hehe.. I've babysat ats for 2.5 years and now I have a cat of my own. Unfortunately, I can't bring my nephews anymore to out place because Misa is declawed and she a little sick at the moment. I still hope I can come and see them since I met them first before I got Misa.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm with everyone else...go for it! If you're diligent about the litter, it won't smell (and this is coming from someone with a sensitive nose). You can even get automatic litter boxes that do the scooping for you (though even those need some maintenance to be really odor-free...I've got one that I love, but I check it every day anyway).

And a catnip-infused scratching post is a wondrous thing! ;)

Any inconvenience caused by a pet is far outweighed by the benefit of their companionship, I think. I've got 2 cats (up just recently from 1!) and 3 dogs at my house...plus 2 kids and a husband. The kids (and sometimes the husband) make me far crazier than the pets on any given day! ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can also check into adopting a cat that has been declawed. At the shelter by me there are usually a few who's previous owners had them front decalwed (something I personally would never do, but did adopt two that were already done).

I say get thee a cat! You will not regret it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts