Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three cats... Whisper, Bonnie & Clyde and a bird, Buddy. Whisper is female 3 years old, Bonnie and Clyde are siblings just turned 1 and Buddy is a girl even though we though she was a he when we first got him... Um, her!

I'm here to learn how to help a cat I have living in my wall in the basement... No, this is not a typo... We named her Rogue.

Rogue is a feral that I've been feeding since she was about 5 months old... I trapped her in the hopes of getting her spayed after she got pregnant at only 10 months (I found homes for both her babies) the vet called me and said Rogue was pregnant (she is now just over a year old) and due any day... I couldn't bring myself to abort the babies so I picked her up and brought her to my laundry room in the basement.

THREE WEEKS LATER she gives birth... All three kittens were born dead... Well, one survived three days then died... It was HORRIBLE... I still cry about it.

I had her eating out of my hand but she wouldn't let me touch her... So I have not been able to bring her back to the vet for spaying (it's been a month since the delivery)

All of a sudden, out of the blue, for no apparent reason at all she will not come out for chicken as she did before and has decided to hide in the wall whenever I come down. Nothing down there is disturbed to give me any indication that she's trying to get out of the house. She doesn't "cry" she doesn't scratch at the door or anything. It's been almost TWO months since I've had her in my basement.

She plays with her toys, eats, and sleeps in a dog house I prepared for her for when she delivered her babies, and uses the litter box.

I want to take her to the vet and introduce to her to my cats but she won't come out of the wall (it's safe) so that I can attempt taming...I'm at my wits end.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Are you sure there are no kittens in the wall with her?

Is that the only way in and out of that hole? Or does it lead out somewhere?? I'd try and lure her with fish (not good for cats...but in a pinch it might coax her out). You have got to seal that wall when she's out.

I'd also make a substitute "cave" for her...a bed that is covered...maybe a crate with a blanket over it so it will make her feel more comfortable...put soft bedding inside

·
Registered
103 Posts
My first thought was that there were kittens in that wall as well.

To get her to the vet again, you may have to consider a humane trap. I am sure there are some you could rent or borrow from a local rescue organization. If you have options, I would recommend the TruCatch. You will probably need it for a week or two. Here are some tips for getting started:
  • Put some newspapers in the bottom.
  • Rig it so it doesn't trip when she enters at first (we use zip ties).
  • Partially cover the trap with a towel.
  • Put the smelliest, cheapest canned cat food you can find in the trap.
Once you know she's been entering the trap, it is time to set the trap:
  1. Be sure to have an appointment lined up for the day of or day after you trap. (We trap at night and have appointments the next day).
  2. Remove all other food sources and only put a small amount of bait in the trap. Cats need to fast the night before a surgery.
  3. Set the trap and wait.
Once she is in the trap, cover it with a towel. This will keep her calm. Take her to the vet in the trap. You can take a carrier to the appointment for them to place her in after the surgery if you want. Or she can recover in the trap.

You will get her back either at the end of the day of the appointment, or first thing the next morning if there are no complications. I am assuming your basement is climate controlled (cats cannot regulate their body temperature for 24 hours after anesthesia), so you could release her right away if you think there are kittens in the wall. She will still be able to nurse after surgery, and the vet may be able to tell you if she is lactating or not.

While she is at the vet would be a perfect time to investigate and deal with that wall. If you are quiet, you might hear mewing. If you are sure there are no kittens, seal or block off that wall.

Good luck and bless you for taking her in.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I'm also thinking you are going to have to trap her. Maybe if you find someone who knows how to do this they can help you? I think you can do it though, I have never done it, but she is already down there in your basement. I think the trap is your best bet. She needs to get to the vet. Poor little thing! You are so sweet to care for her like this.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Poor girl. I'm sure she's terrified and sad she lost all of her babies. I think Sarah Anne gave great advice. See if you can borrow a humane trap from a local rescue vet/group and try to trap her. Good luck!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Oh, I totally forgot to give you a link. I got a lot of information about trapping from Alley Cat Allies: Care For Cats - Conduct Trap-Neuter-Return - Alley Cat Allies

Also, you might want to read up on taming ferals. It is really hard to do the older they get (like after 6 months). The Urban Cat League has a wonderful page about taming kittens-I am sure the techniques can be used with an older cat. Check out their page (and helpful video) at: Taming Ferals - UrbanCatLeague

1 - 6 of 6 Posts