Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my name's Vicky. I'm a 20 yr old college student and i have a female orange tabby. supposedly thats rare and the vet didnt believe me when i said she was a girl...anyway i used to not like cats but then I got sunset and i've been obsessed ever since!:love2:kittyturn

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
The only way to get a red or orange female tabby is if the sire or dam are red or cream tabbies. But if both parents are cream tabbies, all the kitties will be cream tabbies.

Red is usually described as orange or "marmalade", but some red cats have pale pigmentation and so people may describe them as yellow. Cream is the dilute form of Red, and is described as a buff color. The symbol for the gene for Red/Cream is (O); Black is recessive to Red.
The Red gene (O) is carried on the X chromosome; for this reason it is sex-linked. Males normally only have one X chromosome and so if a male carries the Red gene at all, he will be Red. Females have two X chromosomes; if both X chromosomes carry the Red gene, then the cat will be Red. However, many females carry the Red gene on only one chromosome, which allows the black-based pigmentation to show through in patches. This combination of red and black is called Tortoiseshell.
A typical Tortoiseshell is a patchwork of black and orange, usually in a random pattern. Some "Torties" have large patches of orange, others are mostly black. The Tortoiseshell can be modified by dilution, which gives a patchwork of blue and cream rather than black and orange. Such dilute Torties are usually called Blue-Cream.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Hope to see pics of your orange kitty. I also have a female orange baby named Little Pumpkin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts