Cat Forum banner

Hi all, I'm a cat rescuer - please help :p

502 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Devrie 
#1 ·
Hi everyone I'm Softie1,

I'm 19 years old and unofficially call myself "cat rescuer". I now "own" two cats, but really one is my mom's. The other one I just "acquired" today and she is why I've joined this forum.

I've rescued a lot of other cats in the past and made sure that the ones I didn't keep found good homes, but I need a little advice with the newest one because at the moment I have 3 dogs in the house and she's understandibly very adverse to them.

I planned on writing a post about how I found her and all the questions I have, should I do that here or wait to make another thread?

I'll post it here just in case, and edit it if it's not the right place:

Basically she appears to be a young cat who is very keen on human interaction. She followed aunt to my house last night (she was rubbing up against her leg and purring), but we didn't bring her in. Today (a few hours ago) she was in the bushes meowing at us and came out for me to pet her, when I did she got really happy so I brought her on in. We have a lot of coyotes around here and I didn't want anything to happen to her especially since she seems young and is obviously used to humans. I guess her previous owners either lost her or left her. I'll put some posters up tomorrow in case it's the former.

She's in my bedroom now napping away from my dogs. After she ate I gave her some treats, a calming collar, and catnip to get her comfortable and she seems to be very so.

My biggest concern is how to introduce her to my dogs. They're ok with cats, but two of them are young and very hyper especially my dog who is only 7 months old. My puppy sleeps in my room at night and is into a routine so I need to figure out how to at least get the kitty comfortable with her. I'm calling the cat Tippy or Tiffy now just for reference and she seems to respond to that.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks guys! Yes she's going to the vet to get checked out and spayed as soon as possible.

She's real sweet and lovely, the only problem is now I'm thinking she might be pregnant.

Not sure what to do in that case.

Hmmm I'm sure I could find homes for the kittens, but it would be a bigger ordeal because then they'd all have to be spayed and neutered...

I really hope she's not pregnant.

#6 ·
Yeah, I think it just takes some time with small protective introductions: through a door, Etc. My mom brought home a German Shepherd puppy, and she also had a male cat. The dog seems to want to play with the cat all the time, but the cat doesn't really like it at all (she's a adult dog now). Magnet the cat just finds peace somewhere away from the dog, but he's pretty intensely adverse to her approach.

It's wonderful that you took in a needy kitty! Good luck with everything!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.