Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here ... I'm Dave (daffydave), 52, live in CT, USA, and I'm a single parent of a son, 14, and two kittens, 6 mos. I've had cats all of my adult life, and truly enjoy them.
I have a perfect backyard for cats ... out in the country, with a small wooded section at the end, and a screened-in deck with a cat door. If I could only get them to stay in the backyard ... ! Unfortunately, the road in the front of the house is a busy road, and I've "lost" a couple of cats in the past few years. I've got some new kittens who, when spring comes, will be trying to get outdoors. They all love the outdoors so much that I'd hate to restrict them, only because of the busy road.
I've been looking at an electronic barrier ... the kind that requires them to wear a special collar, that lets them know to stop. The website goes out of its way to say how humane it is, starting with a small sound to let them know that they are going where they shouldn't. I had heard of these for dogs, but the one I'm looking at is for cats and small animals, so it seems like a reasonable solution.
Has anyone here actually ever tried something like this before with cats? Thoughts??
thanks
daffy :wink: Dave

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had a friend that lived in the country near a busy road as well and they tried an electronic barrier. She told me it worked well. Her cat soon realized that he couldn't go a certain distance and after a period of time she didn't even have to put the collar on the cat. However, her cat was a very laid back, relaxed cat and didn't go very far anyways. I've personally never tried it, but it seemed to work for her and I've heard that it works really well with dogs. Good luck! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts