Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my 2nd post, and I would like to introduce myself to the forum. I am from Washington State, and have a 4 year old orange tabby called Mentos. I toilet trained him when he was 6 months old, and it was the greatest thing I have ever done. I haven't had to use litter for over 3 years now.... so I don't step on, have to clean, or smell litter. It took about 1 month to successfully teach #1 and 5 more months for #2. However that was due to inexperience, I think I coulda successfuly done it all in 1 month maybe 2. And even with accidents, they poop right by the toilet, which is easily cleaned.

I have attempted to teach several of my friends who are cat owners, but they seem reluctant, because of the difficulty. But it's so easy!!!

If you only have 1 cat, and it's relatively young (you can pretty much know in the first week if they're gonna do it or not), I think this is the best investment of time you can do. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've seen the plastic trays at PetSmart with directions. I think you cut a little more out of the center each month or week until all that is left is the toilet seat.

Ever since I saw "Meet the Parents" I have been dying to try this. The next cat will be a "sitter". :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plastic trainer's won't work for 2 reasons....... 1, the steps it takes are too big (the precut holes), 2nd it's not durable enuf, and your cat might fall in the toilet.

The aluminum baking tray (there is a size that you can mold perfectly into your toilet, if you want exact size, I can measure my old one), is sturdy, and if it's not sturdy enuf (plus sized cat), you can double up.

You cut the holes yourself, so you can move slower...and that is the KEY. You move slowwwwwwwwwwwwww, or else you'll take 10 steps back for every step you gain. And possible gifts on your bed :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cool

My cat Friday taught himself to use the toilet. We never encouraged or really ever considered it, until one day I walked in and almost died laughing -- he was not impressed with my response. (Ears turned back, sideways glare!!! ) He has since passed after jumping off my counter and suffering a terrible hip break and dislocation :( -- I could not afford the $3000 to fix it, so he is sleeping. Anyways, it was the greatest thing, I wish my new cats would get a clue-- I think Friday was just smarter than most!!! I wonder if my cats (2,3 and 4 years) are too old to try and train them with one of those pans? I had never heard of those devices before, but have an extra bathroom and may try just to see.

You all are just a fountain of information!!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
It's so sad that Friday had to die. I know that vets have to work very hard and spend a lot for their education, but even after paying expenses, he was still charging about $500 or more for an hour or so of his time. When it's a matter of life and death it seems unethical to me. And that's assuming that his overhead was $2500, which I doubt.

Friday was one very smart cat!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Frustrating isn't it... I don't know why vets aren't more willing to do payments and give deals. Especially because I have taken all of my pets to the same place , for my whole life. GRRRR!!! Money Money Money

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok, back on topic. We tried with a bowl, but it didn't work too well. We might try again... we'll have to try the baking sheet method.

Can you go over the steps and give any details etc?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 1st step would be to allow the cat to identify the new location of his 'litter tray'. I used a 13X10X2.5 aluminum baking tray from the supermarket. It doesn't quite fit, but you can 'mold' it.

If the cat can't find this new tray....... slowly move his old tray closer and closer to the toilet...and then elevate it using telephone books, then put it on the toilet seat...then in the toilet (molded tray).

You want to put a normal amount of litter in the tray........ to begin.

The most important advice is

***Don't progress faster than the cat is ready for***

If the cat seems to complain, or seems aggrevated... allow him time to get use to that step.

Slowly reduce the litter, until there is a small layer.... barely sprinkled on.... (the cat won't like this, and neither will you because it stinks).

At this point... I usually dump the litter (flushable) into the toilet, wash the pan and wipe it dry each time he goes........ pain in the butt I know.... but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

After he is use to minimal amount of litter..... poke 1 or 2 small holes in the tray... the size of a quarter........... this will allow him to get use to the sound of litter falling into the water when he is pawing.

Allow the 2 holes to be far enough apart so you can widen 1 at a time..... and alternate (If you are skeptical, just make 1 hole in the middle). In 1 week, the hole will be big enough where there is room for litter.... but the hole is big enuf to sweep the business into the toilet.......

the cat will start with all 4 legs in the toilet..... then 3, then rear legs in, front legs out..... then 1 leg in.... then 0. Because there is no room for him.

The final step is a HUGE HOLE with 4 corners ont he tray like this |()|, you will have to put littler on all 4 corners for the cat to see, paw then go.... the hole is HUGE all the 'business' will go straight in the toilet. You are home free!!! You can settle for this and just remove the tray when you need the toilet.....

What I did was I glued litter to the pan so it had texture for him to paw, but I didn't need to keep refilling it.

I left it this way for about a week or 2, then I got a new tray, made a huge hole with no litter..... at first he got pissed, so I put the old tray back... but eventually I used a tray with no litter.

After a while I removed the tray..and kitty was fine with the idea. He would sometimes paw the ground next to the toilet before he goes...and sometimes he'd paw the toilet seat before he goes.

When he is done, he will paw the seat, as if he is pushing litter into the toilet..it's hilarious.

Feel free to PM me or AIM me for advice....... I would love to mentor another successful trainee.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hwangster said:
....... slowly move his old tray closer and closer to the toilet...and then elevate it using telephone books, then put it on the toilet seat...then in the toilet (molded tray).
Yeah, we started like this. We put the box next to it, moved it up, then put it on the pot. Sometimes he'll still paw by the toilet, especially if he smells anything in it (or has recently been in it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts