Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! You can call me Junia or June. I'm 20 years old and I live with my fiancé and our newly-adopted kitty Ariel. I'm really looking forward to reading around and getting lots of good advice here!

Ariel came home Saturday night. She's about eight years old and she's part Siamese, with big blue eyes and torbie points (although she doesn't have the strident Siamese voice - good for me!). She is a very shy girl, but she's also really affectionate and loving. Adopting an adult cat is entirely new territory for me, as I've been around cats all my life but always from kittenhood. I'm surprised at just how different it is!

I hate to post this in the introduction area instead of in its own thread, but I'm a little worried and it's after the vet's hours. Ariel hasn't eaten at all since she came home. She doesn't seem to have had anything to drink, either. She may have had a little something going by what waste was in her litter box, but it isn't much. She passes the pinch-the-scruff test (it springs back right away) but I'm still a little concerned about dehydration. She was very interested in the can of water-packed tuna I put on a plate for her, but after sniffing around curiously and pacing around a bunch just went back behind the couch. Sigh. I'm sort of at a loss here. I'm a lot more worried about her drinking than eating, because I know she'll eat when she's hungry but I know cats don't have a very strong thirst drive. Help?

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
welcome

When cats come into a new home they are unsure and a lot of times uneasy. They might not eat for a couple days. Not to worry, that is normal. Thanks for adopting an adult cat from a shelter.:yellbounce Adult cats have a harder time finding homes. You are so great to open your heart and home to an adult kitty.

Here is an article which might help.
Base Camp — How to Prepare for your New Cat | Little Big Cat

You probably know most of it since youve had cats before. Sometimes it take a while for a cat to feel comfortable esp if you release it into a large area at first instead of gradually let him/her explore slowly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts