Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from Chicago, now live around Knoxville, Tenn. I rescued a 6 month old kitten about 2 1/2 years ago, and although he's very happy, I was thinking of getting another cat. Mittens is 3 years old now. He is a long-haired Maine Coon mix, just not a large size. He's a very laid back cat who loves to be around only me. Do you think it would make his life better or would it cause him stress. Is it a good idea to get another kitty? There are so many cats that need a home right now at our local shelter, I would love to save another life.:-?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Maine Coon mix that I was worried about adding a new cat to the home with but I got him a kitten and they fell in love. I think adding another cat is a great idea. I got a girl kitten for my male cat and had no problems. The usual hissing but no fighting and he eventually warmed up to her

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Suggest you apply to a local humane society that has a foster program and foster one or two. This works out best for the kittens if you work from your home or can spend lots of time giving them some good socialization. But do a slow introduction with your cat, as he may not be as accepting as Javagal78's cat. With most cats it's certainly not love at first sight.
Living Together - Introducing a New Cat

If things work out well your cat, you can adopt the kitten that Mittens really likes, if not kitty goes to a new home anyway and you've helped out a worthy organization.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, catloverami and Javagal, for some great suggestions. I think I'll check into fostering a kitty, and keeping him/her if Mittens approves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts