Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Marybeth and my husband and I have 2 adored cats, Gizmo-Lou and Ms. Kitty. Thanks for allowing me into the group!

Marybeth

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Depressed Kitty :(

Hello,

We recently moved across country. We used to live in an apartment complex on a Nature Preserve In Florida. There were always lots of birds, frogs, crickets, and other wildlife. Since it was just off the Tampa Bay, the air smelled like salt and soil from the Preserve--lots of fragrances and a nice breeze.

So we moved to Dallas, Texas to a house. The house faces North/South and gets very little sunlight except for 2 windows. I never hear birds outside. I even put out 2 birdfeeders, and only hear a few chirps a day, but mostly silence.

One of our 2 cats has become very depressed. He doesn't come to greet me at the door anymore when I come home, and he stays in our bed all day and night. He also cries a lot and howls. I've been paying him lots more attention with petting, brushing, and playing, but he still acts quite depressed. he's even started biting me when I pet him--very odd behavior for him.

It is making me so sad. I love him so much and feel so guilty about this. I'm thinking of calling the vet after the weekend and talking to her.

Meanwhile, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Marybeth

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
Welcome!

I also recently moved and the view is nothing like my last place, definite lack of birds and great scenery for my girls. I'm thinking of getting some hummingbird feeders for the patio.

Cats are masters of hiding pain. If Gizmo is howling and crying, and he's never done this before, I'd be off to the vet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! Interesting coincidences here...

My first name is Dallas and my first pet (a Shih Tzu dog) was named Gizmo. This is the first post I read in the introductions section as a newly registered member myself. Maybe it means nothing, but I'll take it as a good sign of welcome and return the welcome to you, Marybeth.

Welcome to the community :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome, Casswen. Those are some interesting coincidences!

Marie73, he has howled and cried before, but never like this. We ordered the cats a big cat tree--hoping this will help. I did put out birdfeeders...it is almost creepy how still no birds come to visit them. Make that very creepy. Not a peep of a birdcall. :( It's kind of depressing! Maybe a hummingbird feeder would work better?

·
Super Moderator
26,658 Posts
I'll let you know how the hummingbird feeders work out. They should arrive any day now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts