Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Well the kittens aren’t kittens anymore, but we still call them the kittens.
A few winters ago a neighbor passed away and left his cat alone in the neighborhood. Nobody could catch the cat and it eventually had kittens in our back yard. We retrieve the kittens from a dangerous place subject to flooding and a big storm was approaching. I put the kittens in a cardboard box and had them on my front porch while I was calling around for help. When I finally went back outside the kittens were gone and the mother had moved them all under a shed in my back yard.
I worried about those kittens all through the storm and hoped that I had built the shed high enough above the flood area that they would be safe. When the storm was finally over a few days later, we found the kittens safe, but could not catch them. Months went by and we watched as the kittens grew and even ventured in our yard to play with our two dogs. The older dog was very protective of them and would not let our beagle near them, but the mother cat didn’t like the idea so much and would chase both dogs away.
It was a very cold winter so I moved one of the dog houses to my front porch and threw in some old pillows and covered the opening with an old blanket to keep the freezing wind out. We gave the kitten’s food and water, but they still kept their distance.
Then one day when we were at the store, a pair of pit bull escapee’s came up on our porch and killed the mother and two kittens. The other 3 somehow squeezed under some wood and escaped the massacre. It was extremely upsetting and we all cried for weeks.
We still could not get close to the kittens and borrowed a cage type trap and waited for hunger to overcome their fear. We finally captured them after about 3 days and moved them inside to a cage until we were sure that our other 2 cats would be alright with them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm so sorry about what happened to the momma and her babies. I bet she was trying to protect them. It's great that you got the other three safely inside in a love home now.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm so sorry about what happened to the momma and her babies. I bet she was trying to protect them. It's great that you got the other three safely inside in a love home now.
Thank you and yes she was definitely protecting her young. I think that was what got me the worst was knowing that she could have easily jumped up onto the 5 ft wall like she always did before. What made it even worst was that we had a gate to the porch that we forgot to close before going to the store.

I believe the kittens were traumatized from the event, because they are so insecure. Well except for the smallest one which ended up very sick after being spayed. I held her and comforted her until she got better. I think we bonded because now she will not leave my side unlike the other two who run just from me looking at them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Best looking Christmas tree I ever saw!
Sorry for your tragedy, I know how these things just stick with you. But you can take comfort in the happiness your brought to these babies now!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best looking Christmas tree I ever saw!
Sorry for your tragedy, I know how these things just stick with you. But you can take comfort in the happiness your brought to these babies now!
Thanks! Oh and I was wondering if anyone would notice the tree. :lol: It was the only photo that I had with all of them together. :cool:

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think nursing them through an illness really does create a bond... my little Bear had a horrible parasitic infection when I got him and almost died... and now he follows me everywhere lol

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s funny because the male kitten which we named Sebastian is the most afraid of people, but not the dogs for some reason. I would have thought that the kittens would be scared to death of dogs, but I’ve seen Sebastian lying in the dog bed with our largest dog.

And even though Sebastian will not let me get too close, he sometimes sleeps at the bottom of my bed tight up against my legs. I’ve tried to reach down and pet him, but he bolts to the door every time. :shock:

·
Registered
683 Posts
I am so sorry about what happened to you. I imagine what you've all been through. Mom cat would be happy if she knew you adopted her 3 little survivors.

Lots of patience with the little ones, they will eventually overcome their fears and start getting closer. Just give them some time. You have other cats so I'm sure you know about socialization and stuff :)

...and great pic! are the 3 siblings black or one of the "kittens" is the (actually bicolor) white one?

Hugs!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so sorry about what happened to you. I imagine what you've all been through. Mom cat would be happy if she knew you adopted her 3 little survivors.

Lots of patience with the little ones, they will eventually overcome their fears and start getting closer. Just give them some time. You have other cats so I'm sure you know about socialization and stuff :)

...and great pic! are the 3 siblings black or one of the "kittens" is the (actually bicolor) white one?

Hugs!
Hi! The white one was our first cat and her name is Squirts because she was the runt of the litter. She belonged to my oldest daughter, but she married a guy that is allergic to cats so Squirts lives with us.

The long haired black cat is on the bottom and his name is Midnight. He belongs to my youngest daughter who still lives with us. He was also found under a car hood of one of my neighbors when he was very young. Nobody knows where he came from, but he came close to dying from a urinary condition. He has to eat a special prescription food and cannot eat with the other cats so all food has to be put up after meals.

The 3 kittens are Sebastian, Tink, and Aurora which are all short hair cats. Their mother was Siamese and I don’t have a photo of the kittens together or at least I can’t find them at the moment, but I will look for them. I may have take a photo of them all together at meal time which is the only time they are all together.:smile:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad you got these three inside safely! I love your picture. How long have you had them now?
I belive they are about two years old. They were found in November and I remember them looking in the window at our Christmas Tree lights. It was January that their mother was killed. When we took them in we had them spayed and nutered and the plan was to put them outside when the weather got warmer. Well that never happened.

We have neighbors who do not like cats and some have told us to be carfull about letting them outside because they have poison set out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love reading posts about people who have rescued cats/kitten and took them in. 2 weeks ago a cop I work with was off duty participating in a charity bike run and witnessed a guy pull over and drop a kitten out the door. She immediately picked him up when she got there and brought him to our communications center so we can find out who if anyone can take him or if animal control would have to. Thankfully a fellow co-workers mother took the little guy in. He was only 5 weeks old.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Love reading posts about people who have rescued cats/kitten and took them in. 2 weeks ago a cop I work with was off duty participating in a charity bike run and witnessed a guy pull over and drop a kitten out the door. She immediately picked him up when she got there and brought him to our communications center so we can find out who if anyone can take him or if animal control would have to. Thankfully a fellow co-workers mother took the little guy in. He was only 5 weeks old.
That’s interesting, because I have a beagle that was given to me by a friend who is a cop. He brought home a puppy that survived a terrible car accident where everyone died and no one wanted the puppy. He couldn’t keep it because his dog was always attacking it, so we took it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
shaking my head...

:-x Gah what kind of person dumps an animal? I hear it all the time but I just don't get it. Especially at 6 months! And as for the poor puppy, you would think at least one relative of the people who died would have stepped up to care for it. If anything happens to me my family better take care of my babies...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The orphans

Well I give up. I just can't seem to get these 3 to take a photo together.

I thought i would be smart and place the camera in the kitchen so that i might catch them as I'm making breakfast. I've gotten in the habit of giving them a cat treat each morning as I'm cooking. There were a few times when the three were all together peaking through the kitchen door and I did not have a camera. They are very specious of the camera and as soon as they see it they back away because there is usually a flash involved.

I almost got them today except Aurora ducked at that very second. Oh well they all look a like anyway.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have enough trouble accidentally calling my pets by each others names without them looking alike lol you must have a good memory!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have enough trouble accidentally calling my pets by each others names without them looking alike lol you must have a good memory!
LOL, no my memory isn’t that great. It’s just that Sebastian is always the farthest away and Aurora is always either stepping on my toes or climbing on my leg, which leaves Tink in the middle.

I can also tell by their eyes if they are looking into my eyes because Sebastian always looks anxious or scared, Tink has wild or mean eyes, and Aurora has begging or wanting eyes

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Bo Shuda,Builder! (Huttese)

Tragic what happened to the parent cats. I'm sorry for your loss.

They need to do something to help stray cats AND dogs in Southern Cal. I believe it was Animal Planet that did a documentary on the stray dogs-like pit bulls-in L.A.

Kudos for taking them in-HEY! just saw the pic! Black cats! What are their names?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts