Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I welcomed a stray cat into our family about a year and a half ago. Neither of us had owned a cat before so everything was (and still is sometimes) new to us. To be honest, I'm at my wits end and I will do my best not to use expletives when talking about my cat. But for reals, I am sick of cleaning up poo off the floor.

I will now tell the story of our kitty. It might be a long story. We'll see where it goes...

I live in a small town in the Midwest with my husband. If you drive less than 5 miles in most directions from where we live you are out "in the country" aka farmland. Anyways, I believe it was October of 2012 that our kitty came to us. Now our cat, found it's way to our friends living in the country. They are allergic to cats so they were trying to find a forever home for her. She seemed like a very friendly cat at the time (but probably only because she was really hungry. I'm also a bit jaded. She can be friendly when she wants). She was suuuuper skinny when we first brought her home and ate and ate and ate. And pooped and pooped and pooped. All over the floor. We dewormed her numerous times, and it was probably months before they were all cleared from her system.

She is an indoor cat. We tried re-introducing her to going outside but she wouldn't have it. She would just howl and howl until we let her back in. She is also deathly afraid of other cats, even her own reflection. If she thinks there is another cat around she will hiss and growl and then run away.

The other interesting thing we found out about her is that she had an owner before us. When we took her to the vet to get her spayed they found that she had already been spayed! So either she ran away from home or got lost. We don't know.

Oh, btw, our kitty's name is Lady Kiki Bonnefield, the Duchess of Cromwell, Kiki for short. haha. Ask my husband.

So one of the main things is Kiki has had a lot of issues with pooping in her litter box. The main thing that was showing up was blood in her stool. Now that probably went on for about a year after we got her. And probably even longer. The thing that I believe helped that was feeding her a raw prey food diet. But now we are still having problems with her using her litter box to poop consistently. She has always used her box to pee. I think we still don't have the right diet for her or something. Because literally nothing looks wrong with her poop, except that fact that it's not in her litter box. But obviously something is uncomfortable for her, but we don't know what. And sometimes she poops right next to her box and other times away from her box.

Another thing we haven't confirmed about Kiki, but we have the suspicion, is that she has a very very mild form of CH (cerebellar hypoplasia). But we aren't going to pay to figure that out. The reason we think that is because she is a little clumsy. She has a hard time jumping onto things and uses her claws, like all the time. Her balance is not very good either. She doesn't like to run, but she will if she has to. And it hasn't gotten better or worse since we've gotten her. I guess my question with that is, is there a really mild form of CH? Or does it have to be noticeable for it even be considered?

I also wonder if she does have CH, if that's part of the reason she doesn't like pooping in her box. It's so hard to tell, because it seems like part of it might be habit, but we just don't know. We live in a two-story home and we confined her to the upstairs because she was pooping on the stairs too much. (Her box is upstairs). There's been less "accidents" but still too many in my opinion.

IDK. Anyways, I'm kind of tired right now. I could probably write more but I'd scare too many people away. I will take suggestions. Our vet has only been mildly helpful in all of this (one of the things he's said about her is that she just seems "off"). I hope this forum can help!

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Hi Nandid...all my goodness...Lady Kiki sounds like she has some health issues...
Hope we can help!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello and welcome.
I have a bit of an idea with the pooping you describe, especially as it is sometimes near the box, have you tried a second litter box with either the same or different types of litter? There are some cats who simply don't like to poo where they pee. While the majority of the issues you have may have seem as though they could be more intense if this is just mild litter aversion perhaps some choices could ease your troubles and frustration a bit. I suggest a second litter box at least a few feet or so away from the first for a trial, if there is a concentrated poop area that is usually the best place to put the box. Try to ad as big of a litter box without a hood as you can find. Then the litter, try something different in texture from what you are using be it clay, sand, wheat, pine, walnut, paper, whatever you want or if you want to go slower you can just add a box with the same litter to start. A general recommendation for cats is one litter box per cat plus one extra.

In the case of the raw diet that you are feeding there is an entire sub forum here dedicated to raw feeding I'm certain that you will find more people with raw feeding specific information there. Perhaps a specific question regarding diet in that arena with a link back to this thread would help?

The CH (cerebellar hypoplasia) is another matter altogether and probably deserves it's own post as well. My own it's experience is limited to a foster kitten and internet research. I do know it manifests as a spectrum disorder even within a litter of kittens with some being severely affected and others not at all so it would stand to reason that any degree of mild is plausible. However there are other disorders that can mimic CH and without a life history and the tests, true diagnostics aren't possible (as you know). Beyond those basic statements I'm not much help here but the members are a diverse lot and with the CH question in the tag you may get more responses as well.

Lady Kiki, the Duchess has been blessed to have been taken into your family, you have done so much for a long while now, don't give up just yet. We cannot make a medical diagnosis but likely you can find suggestions that may help in the day to day life and decisions.
N

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
You received some good suggestions already, and the only thing I can think of is to have several litter boxes around the house to make it easier for her. You might try the Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter and see if that makes a difference. Bless you for taking in this cat. She obiously had a rough time of it to be so fearful of going outside now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts