Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 7year old cat, just brought her home today. She is hiding, I have her in my study away from my other cats until she is adjusted. Her owner had to go to a nursing home. She did go to another home for about a month but it did not work out. She is not eating or drinking water or going to the litter box. Anyone experienced this before? What is the best thing I can do for her? While I sit on my computer I talk to her so she will get used to my voice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hiding Cast

Today is Sunday, my new kitty is still hiding, though she must have come out during the night and used the litter-box, but I cannot see where she has eaten. I now have a radio playing on a talk show, very soft so she will get used to the sound of voices. I may cut that off and put on soft music.
thanks for the answers.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Soft music, preferably classical, such as Mozart, will help. If you're around, talk to her softly. Leave the food where she can find it easily. Don't make any sudden moves, of course. Kittens take a couple of days to start eating, so it's not surprising that a grown cat would, also. Good luck!

·
Banned
410 Posts
When we brought Sophie home, she went into hiding for a very long time. We didn't think that we were ever going to get a chance to pet her. I had to put food in the basement because she kept hiding down there. When she did come up, she would come around the corner, run behind the couch, and then run upstairs so she could hide under the bed. I think that went on for well over a month! Be patient! I wanted to let her know that I wasn't going to hurt her, so I would pull her out from behind the hot water tank and make her sit with me while I talked to her, pet her, and brushed her. Of course she would go into hiding as soon as I let go. :roll:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Maybe its just me.. but both my cats adjusted to a new home the very minute they came in the door.. They were lil kittens so I guess that may be a reason?

The two seniors I have are some what the same way. They hid for the first 2 days.. Clyde under the covers and Cheyenne in the nice cold bathroom. Cheyenne hid longer than Clyde, she then hid in the closet for two more days while Clyde explored the rest of the house. I wasn't sure if they were eating (it's hard to tell when another cat can easily eat their food). But now I KNOW Clyde is eating.. I have to fill the normal cat dish more often...

Like the others suggested, do a lot of soft talk, preferably keep other pets away from kitty.. When kitty learns to love you, then 'slowly' introduce the other animals. I've never had a 'huge' problem with animal introductions.. But now I have two alpha males :shock:

Oreo always was my baby... And now Clyde loves me! So they have lil 'fights' every now and again... Oreo never uses his claws (hes such a chicken) and Clyde is declawed. So no damage. I want Clyde to learn that Oreo IS the alpha, even though he is around 7 months old.. I belong to him...

Since I got me a puppy, to my surprise, Oreo lets her bully him. Is it because he's decided to share me with her? I'm not really sure..!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hiding Cat

It is Monday night and I am sitting at my computer. Kitty has just come out of the closet and is sitting in the recliner next to me. I have not said anything to her or turned to look at her. I can see out of the corner of my eye that she is watching every move I make. What a stepping stone!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
We are smelling proggress there :) !
ps you are such a nice person to dedicate your time and patience to the kitty; it is rewarding both ways - a life long friend brings much joy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiding Cat

She is no longer a hiding cat, now has taken over my recliner next to my computer. Loves to be held and cuddled and purrs and purrs. Tomorrow I will take the next step and let her see one of my other cats to see how that goes. Thanks for all the good wishes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a great idea, I had never heard of that. Kitty is sitting right on my desk as I type this. Every once in a while she buts my hand with her head wanting me to pet her. She is a great cat, I'm so glad I had room for her. I wish the former owner knew how comfortable she is, but she has senile dementia and now does not recognize her granddaughter (the one who gave me the cat) when she visits. The nursing home where she is did allow the cat to go there with her, but they found the lady was eating the cat food and not able to take care of Kitty. So you see this poor Kitty has had several recent changes in her life. Thanks for the helpful hint, I will definitely try it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts