Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 18 month siamese male and bombay black female are getting particular on what they eat..they only want to eat very expensive cat food anymore....they like earthborn chicken, and fussie cat tuna and chicken.....as maybe some of you know, these are very good cat foods, real meat in them, but expensive,,,its costing over $3 a day, in the long run, thats $100 a month...is there anyway i can reduce the cost on food ? they are getting so they don,t like wellness anymore

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it sort of amazes me that they don,t like wellness anymore...but it could be there feeding times too......i have noticed they will not eat much one day, and then in the morning, they eat the house out.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
That's one of the best reasons to feed a rotation of foods, so they don't get sick of a brand.

I spend about 120 month here on average but it's worth shaving off a little spending in another area to give them the quality that keeps them in top health. It's an investment into their health future.

·
Registered
893 Posts
my 18 month siamese male and bombay black female are getting particular on what they eat..they only want to eat very expensive cat food anymore....they like earthborn chicken, and fussie cat tuna and chicken.....as maybe some of you know, these are very good cat foods, real meat in them, but expensive,,,its costing over $3 a day, in the long run, thats $100 a month...is there anyway i can reduce the cost on food ? they are getting so they don,t like wellness anymore
Ronass, I hear you.

Im on a fixed income. But gas prices keep going up. Grocery and all my bills keep going up. I envy those here on this board who have more disposable income than I do...

I would love LOVE to give my cats the best of the best. I simply cant afford it. :sad2

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
As already said, feeding your cats on rotation will help. My two are on constant rotation between 3 brands and also flavors amongst the brands. They have something different every day.

Btw, if they are on 100% canned, $3 a day is pretty good. If I were to feed 100% canned, it would cost me roughly $5 a day.

Another way is to go raw. I honestly haven't really calculated, but others have said that it costs way less to go raw.

·
Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
I envy those here on this board who have more disposable income than I do...

I would love LOVE to give my cats the best of the best. I simply cant afford it. :sad2
Please don't beat yourself up about this. When I was unemployed, my girls got dry food and cheap wet food. We do the best we can with what we have, it is not a reflection of how much we love our cats.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Me too. 1 thing to remember: less expensive does not ALWAYS mean lower quality. Check out the cat food aisle. Even discount grocery stores like Save-a-Lot,and Aldi's have kitcompat cat foods! And there's always Wally-World!

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Expense is relative. If someone is doing the best they can to squeek by and giving their cats the best they can then good for you.

If someone CLAIMS they are just getting by and have to feed cheap food but still manage to afford shopping trips, expensive food for themselves and regular manicures then it's another matter. Same with someone who just throws up their hands and buys the really crap stuff because they can't afford 2.50 a can.

If you've researched and looked and made phone calls and are affording the best you can and not making your cat suffer junk food so YOU can live better then I say good for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.