Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Meatball's baby tooth removed by the vet yesterday, because it won't fall on its own. The vet did a check on Meatball's other teeth and didn't notice any problem. However, he commented that Meatball's teeth are not in good condition in general. She is only 8 month old but the tartar and plaque already start building up. I have to assume its genetic, because I give both of my cats same food, brush their teeth at the same frequency (I use to do it 2-3 times a week, now trying to do it every day), and my other cat Metoo's teeth are sparkling clean.

So I bought a bottle of mouth spray that is said to help cats teeth. The vet also recommended a dry cat food brand (I think it's Medi-Cal) with formula specially designed for dental health. But I would still like Meatball to stick with wet food. She is having raw food every 2 days and I will try to do it more frequently. Anyone knows any high quality food that is good for teeth, or has speical "dental clean formula"?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I saw one type of Frisky cat treat that is marked as "for dental health". I wonder if that really help? Yeah I know Frisky food has horrible quality, but since its just treats, I think I can go with that if it really helps Meatball's teeth.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dental problems can be genetic or it could be because your cat is a nervous cat. For some reason nervous cats seem to have more difficulties with dental health. I had a cat for 17 years that suffered from an anxiety problem and as a result, would need teeth cleaning done annually. When I put him on an anti-anxiety drug (Clamicalm) the dental health improved and we were able to go two or three years between cleanings. (Clamicalm was administered because of inappropriate elimination problems). The cat remained on small dosages of the drug for the rest of its life (11 years) and it not only improved the dental health but improved his quality of life, reduced shedding and eliminated our little problem. Sometimes drugs are a good thing!

Try dry food to help keep the teeth clean. I also found feeding raw chicken or turkey necks help to keep the teeth clean.

Also consider the food bowls you are using. Plastic can create a hoste of problems including mouth and body ulcers. I had one cat that was highly sensitive to this and could not be feed or watered using plastic. I actually have a brother in law that can't eat off plastic utensiles for the same reason.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Try dry food to help keep the teeth clean.
Old wive's tale. Dry doesn't keep teeth any cleaner than canned. The kibble doesn't 'scrape' the teeth. The cat bites down and shatters the kibble or swallows it whole.

The chicken wings/neck are a good suggestion or as AC has suggested in other threads chicken gizzards are good for teeth as well.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for both of your suggestions :)

Meatball is by no means nervous. She is quite calm and happy. She doesn't mind changes (like new furnitures or her litter box being moved to a new place) and not afraid of strangers either. The only thing that scares her is very loud noises, like thunder and fire alarm (odd though that she is not afraid of vacumme). But her eating habit is not very good though. She likes to lick more than bite, no matter its dry or wet. I have no idea how to fix that...

I agree that raw food is excellent for teeth cleaning, and that's why I'm trying to give them more raw now. Both Meatball and Metoo love chicken hearts, and like wing tips. They are not very happy about gizzard though. I guess it's too hard to chew for them (they are still practicing).

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
While dry food in general isn't designed to help teeth, some is made hard to shatter so the cats have to work for it, thus helping teeth by chewing more. I'm not sure which kind it is though...Doodlebug probably knows. I don't think it is very healthy food though.

·
Registered
801 Posts
What kind of raw is she on? Ground? Chunks? Any bone?
Chunks and bone clean the teeth while ground does almost nothing.

The only dry that Possibly cleans teeth are the ones with Huge kibbles. There are also treats (greenies) that clean teeth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
When we noticed Kitty had a dental infection, the vet told us to start feeding her Hill's Dental Health Prescription Diet (dry). The pieces of kibble are very large so the cat has to chew it before swallowing (hence, scraping/cleaning the teeth). Of course, Kitty hated it and refused to eat it. Smart girl though... once I found this forum and began actually the labels on her food, I noticed the first ingredient on there was "chicken by-product." In doing research into what that actually is, I can understand why... Yuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts