Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty sure our adorable new kitten was a Himalayan. We didn't get papers when we adopter him. However my wife keeps saying she doesn't think so.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
omg that face in the first pic! He looks like he's smiling so hard for the camera that his eyes closed. That is so precious! I don't know anything about cat breeds. A cat is a cat is a cat to me. They're either short or long haired, and regular or Maine Coon sized. IMO if he was a purebred of some sort, it is likely you would have been told. Although some shelter refuse to disclose that info and destroy paperwork that comes in with purebreds to prevent them from ending up being breeding animals. (At least that is what I was told when I adopted a purebred Samoyed a billion years ago. They knew, they had her paperwork, and they withheld it to keep any new parents from treating her like a puppy factory.)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Himalayans have a very distinct color/pattern - they are always "pointed".

Himalayan Cat Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts

1999 Article about the Himalayan Persian

Meaning they will have darker color on the face/ears, tail, and limbs, and the body would be cream or white.

Plus, as a sub-breed of the Persian, most Himalayans will have the flat face of a Persian. (Some will have the "traditional" muzzle, but the typical Himalayan is flat-muzzled.)

So, I do not believe your kitty is a Himalayan.

·
Registered
346 Posts
what a huge smile! in that second picture he looks fit to burst. I don't know enough about himalayans to comment though. Hard to tell coloring when they're so young, sometimes they darken with age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts