Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im totally unexperienced with cats and I need some confirmation. I have a one year old sterilized female cat (Lilo) and yesterday I got another kitten. I've done some reading and I was prepared for the hissing which was to follow. The new kitten does not seem to be bothered, but Lilo is not only hissing and growling at the new kitten, BUT AT ME ASWELL. Even if I just call her name. She is not biting or slapping towards the new kitten, its just the hissing. Is this normal behaviour?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Re: Hissing after arrival of nwe kitten

Did you just put them together without allowing for an 'introduction' period? If so, then yes this is normal.

Please do a search here for threads about introductions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did do some reading on introductions before I got the new kitten. Unfortunately I only have a two room apartment, and it was thus impossible to keep them from seeing each other, and even though they are seperated now, it still causes havoc in Lilo normal routine, since the new kitten is now being kept in my bedroom. She has now stopped hissing at me and even allows me to touch her a bit again. She also comes up very close to the new kitten, growls softly, but the hissing has substantially subsided. Should I continue as Im doing, or should I seperate them? Im not sure what to do and I would really like them to get alongand Lilo to stop being upset with me.

Sorry, I know I am really unhandy with the process!!

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
What you're seeing is very normal. Lilo is actually doing very well from what you're saying, especially since there was no introduction process. Some hissing and growling are to be expected, even with a formal process. Since there hasn't been any all out attacks, I wouldn't retreat at this point. Let them work it out. You can help it along by rubbing a towel on the kitten, then Lilo, then back on the kitten to intermingle their scents and make them seem less foreign to each other. Also putting a drop of vanilla extract on the back of each of their necks will help make them smell similar. Engage them in interactive play together...Da Bird (or any fishing pole toy) or a laser pointer is great for this. And hand feed treats together. Basically get them interested in some other activity, rather than focusing on each other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the message doodlebug.. I guess I have to just be patient and let them work it out. Its just really hard for me to Lilo so upset by the new kitten. I'll you posted. Thank you again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts