Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently brought home a new kitten (2 months old, male) and my kitten named Mickey (6 months old, male) keep hissing and growling at the new kitten to a point where he wants to hit the new kitten with his claws. Luckily the new kitten was in his cage during that time so no one was hurt. Both of the kittens are Persians and have not neutered. The vet suggest us to neuter during 8 months old.

I did some research and tried some methods of introducing two cats from Jackson Galaxy. I separated them into two different rooms, I tried exchanging their scents using cloth and on the third day I see improvement where Mickey was laying in front of the room that the new kitten was in but with the door shut of course. He seems curious and relax in front of the door and most importantly no hissing.

So I move on to the next step which is site swapping. During the site swapping, I make sure there are no visual contact for both kittens. By the time Mickey step in the room he started hissing, growling and wanting to leave the room so badly. So, I back it up and return to separating them again.

So now I'm not sure what to do. Should I try site swapping again but I also don't want to cause stress to Mickey. I also tried feeding them both with door in between but Mickey will growl constantly while eating his food.

If anyone could give me some advice or tips for situation like this I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

- Eunice

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Your kitten was taken away from its momacat and any litter mates too early. During the first 1-4 mos. of a kitten's life is an important socialization period...... where a kitten learns to control his bite and claws from wrestling with his litter mates, and disciplined by his momacat. They learn to read body language and verbal sounds of other cats and people and what they mean. . Your kitten missed out on that, and Mickey realizes it, and is attempting to discipline the kitten by a warning growl at him while he's eating, saying "stay away!". Do you know if Mickey was well socialized by staying with his momacat and litter mates, or living with another cat? If so, I would just let Mickey discipline the kitty, and kitty will learn when and where not to bother him. If Mickey is a cat that missed out on his socialization period, then continue with Jackson Galaxy's suggestions. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts