Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9-year-old cat that has been with me for 8 years. He was a stray at a shelter when I got him and he is somewhat socially dysfunctional. Recently he has started to hiss when I play with him. He doesn't hiss at me but at the ribbon I use to play with him or the pillow that he knocked over while playing... The ribbon is a new toy and both cats enjoy it. His behavior hasn't changed in other ways so I'm not really concerned. I'm just curious. Is he getting too intense and should I stop playing with him when he hisses or play with him until he is tired? I lean more towards letting him wear himself out. At 9 years old it doesn't take that long.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
i'd probably just stop using the ribbon thing. there are so many other kinds of toys available that you certainly don't have to use the ribbon thing. maybe it's just a little scarier for him than the other stuff. if so, i would prefer not to scare him and just use a toy that he feels safer with.

i know our angel likes certain toys, but we got this one green fuzzy boa tail on the end of a stick one time and she totally hissed at it. must've reminded her of something in one of her nightmares, i'm guessing. so we just don't use it anymore. :wink:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I think you have to determine whether he's really enjoying playing with the toy or not? If he hisses and then keeps on playing I think he's just expressing himself. If he was afraid of the ribbon he'd walk away and not show any interest in playing with it any more. But you say "both cats enjoy it", so I think maybe he's hissing at his playmate really that he wants it to himself and not share playing with the ribbon with him. Cats will often hiss at another if they have food or a favorite toy they want for themselves. I wouldn't stop playing with the ribbon with him.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think he is afraid of it. It is just a long ribbon that was tied around a new set of towels. I keep it in a drawer and when he hears me get it out he usually comes running to play. The two cats definitely don't like to share but sometimes he hisses at it when the other cat is not around. It's a short, quiet hiss, so maybe not a real hiss.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts