Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, according to my status I'm now a senior citizen! Interesting!

Anyway, question about my hamster. He (maybe she?!!) is about 8 weeks old...and I am SCARED to pick him up!!!! I have NO idea why, I had gerbils while I was growing up and one hamster as well. I never got bitten! So.....all you people with rodents out there, what is a good way to go about picking up a hamster for the first time? I have had him for 2 weeks now and I'm so chicken! My kitten, however, is very interested! It's funny!

·
Registered
917 Posts
i had a hamster who never bit me once, lived for almost 4 years. i hand trained him by putting on a leather gardening glove (so he couldn't bite me) and just put my hand in the cage. he crawl around, sniff it, walk over it, and such. when he was comfortable with my hand in the cage, i'd pick him up (still with the glove) but not remove him from the cage. when he was comfortable with that, i started the process over, but without the glove. when he was ok with that, i took him out of the cage. i'd let him run all over my room. he was a good little hamster.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Try introducing your hand into the cage slowly. Let him sniff it. I find the best way to tame a rodent is by offering sunflower seeds, first in your cupped hand and then in your fingers. If he does bite, move away as slow as you can, otherwise you will frighten him more. If he just nibbles, blow on his face, they don't like that. Or you could try Faile's idea of starting with thick gloves. At least then you can test the water and find out if he is a biter first! Oh, and I find that young rodents (5-8 weeks) can't bite near as hard as the adults, so don't worry too much.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Actually he's a gerbil Maleke. But it IS really hard to tell under all that toilet paper, heh? I don't know if you can tell from the pic but he is eating a rather large blueberry - what a cutie! What colour is your hamster? All the hamsters I've had have been the regular tan coloured, but I've seen some pictures of other colours.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooooopss.....ok I meant he's the same COLOUR as my hamster. :oops:

I had 5 gerbils growing up and one hamster (not all at once!!!). My one hamster was smoke grey coloured and really pretty. My hamster now is just light tan and white. His name is Hermit....he's a cutie. I think he may be a she though..... :?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I was really afraid to hold my hamster for about the first month or so....have you ever watched them yawn? When they yawn you can really see the size of their teeth :shock:
after a while I would just be very gentle and pick him up softly. I havent gotten bit yet.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I did it! I picked him up and actually held him...and let him walk on my lap and on my arms.....he was fine! He is actually really curious! Noises still startle him and he jumps, but he didn't bite! Hooray!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts