Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They give cats a bad rep, dont they??

Everytime i watch one of those shows, i get so angry if htey have cats. I know plenty of clean, regular people with well taken care of cats. Its bad publicity for cat lovers! lol.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
It did seem like the animal hoarding shows were centering on cats, but now they've had dog, bird and even rat hoarders featured on the shows. I can't watch them, makes me feel claustrophobic or something.

But it also makes me feel "normal" - I only have FOUR cats! I don't get to say that very often. :grin:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I personally think one of the reasons you see cats mostly in the shows is because, well, cats are hoarded most. A lot of places have regulations on your dogs. They control how many you can have, require tags and vaccinations, etc. I also know a lot of different places have requirements regarding different rodents and whatnot. Like here it is illegal to own a ferret that isn't spayed/neutered unless you are a licensed breeder. Unfortunately it seems like cats get neglected so much by the law. In my county you are only allowed to own up to 2 dogs and they must be licensed. There is no limit on the number of cats you can own. I had lived right next door to a hoarder. They had more cats then I could count and literally had kittens dying in the front yard. The state wouldn't do anything, they said the numbers weren't illegal. The only way I was able to get those poor cats help was to get the department of sanitation involved.

I do hate that it happens and is so publicized though. People now automatically assume that you are a hoarder by your numbers and not by how the animals are cared for. Hoarding isn't about numbers, it's about an inability to properly care for the number you have and refusing to believe that this is damaging to the animals.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hate these shows. They honestly creep me out. I know that it is a reality that these people exist, but I do not want to be reminded of it any time I watch a show on animal planet. I also hate watching ads for the show. Too bad there are shows that I enjoy on APL :(

But I think cats are the most common animal horded. We've all heard about the crazy cat lady. It's been used for eccentric characters and for comedy but I find it quite disturbing and do not think it is something that should be laughed at.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
In my city the law is 2 "large" pets. 2 dogs, OR 2 cats, OR 1 each.
And yes, it is enforced. My sister's friend got a cat taken away, because Animal Control was doing a random neighborhood check and saw 2 cats and a dog in the back yard.

Also, the limit for "small" animals (hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, birds, etc.) is 6
Not sure how they enforce that, unless somebody makes a complaint and they have really good reason to come in the house and check.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Well, it seems that most apartments only let you have 1 cat anyway, despite city laws. Not that I plan on moving any time soon, but I look just to keep up with the availability... I saw ONE place that would let me keep both cats. And even with the one allowed, is very few... seems that if you rent, heaven forbid you have something that COULD make a mess of the place.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I only watch those shows to freak myself out into not getting more than 4 cats ever. A lot of my friends already think I'll become a crazy cat lady because I talk about cats a lot. I only do that because I don't have good social skills with people and don't have the patience for dogs(our dog has used up all I had left) and cats are the best thing I've found so far.

I think the only laws we have here regarding cats is that some breeds(like Savannas) aren't legal. I looked up the laws for my state on pets and all that came up was dogs this dogs that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I hate those shows because it seems that most of the cats taken are PTS because they are like feral cats because they are not socialized. It's a shame. These people don't realize that the animals suffer because they don't have the money to properly feed and care for them so a lot of the cats end up with diseases that spread. It is said that these hoarders do this because of a void in there early childhood. I don't watch them anymore because I get so upset that these innocent cats are PTS.

Kathy

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I hate those shows because it seems that most of the cats taken are PTS because they are like feral cats because they are not socialized. It's a shame. These people don't realize that the animals suffer because they don't have the money to properly feed and care for them so a lot of the cats end up with diseases that spread. It is said that these hoarders do this because of a void in there early childhood. I don't watch them anymore because I get so upset that these innocent cats are PTS.

Kathy
I agree. I get upset for the same reason-PTS. Plus our TNR group had to deal with a hording situation and the cats were in such bad shape it broke your heart to see it. I hate shows like that. I cant watch them. I have enough that upsets me right in my own town let alone torture myself watching it on tv. I read somewhere that women who are hoarders a majority of them were $exually abused as children.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
We had a real-life hoarding case here a few days ago, 500 roosters used for cockfighting. They were too vicious and most had to be put down. :(

Well, I guess that's not hoarding, but still.....

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
I think that is hoarding. Chicken need xx square feet to live in and have a quality of life.
Im sure the people who were arrested for this got a slap on the hand and then it was left up to rescues and city government to shell out the big bucks to resolve it! Am I right!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and take the risk of sounding like I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. The cockfighting case was probably more of a matter of some people being real *censoredcensored* since it seems as if they were more for sport rather than collected because folk with mental illness meant to be kind and then couldn't deal with their problem. I suspect the chickens were probably put down, but I tend to be pretty jaded in regard to most anything that involves animals fighting for sport.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think those shows are depressing, but I still love to watch them. Yeah, I'm a bit odd. :/

I always feel terrible for the animals. But I also feel bad for the people too. Yes, they are keeping the animals in horrible conditions, but some of them genuinely care (emotionally) for the animals, and are usually compensating for something. I hope they can get better and live healthy, happy lives.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Unfortunately, it's only a misdemeanor.

About 550 birds were discovered in pens on a property nearby, he said.

Authorities used lethal injections to kill about 300 birds, most of which were roosters, DeSousa said. The birds could not be adopted because they would kill other birds, he said. There also was a chance they could fall into the wrong hands and be bred or used for fighting.

"It's a much more humane death to be given a shot than to be cut to ribbons in a fight," DeSousa said.

About 200 birds were still alive on the property Monday morning, as authorities had not yet identified their owner, DeSousa said. He said animal control officers would be going to the property to feed and water them.

·
Registered
383 Posts
These hoarding shows always portray these folks with multiple animals as living in filth and being mentally ill. And because there is always a percentage of the audience that will jump to a false conclusion that all people with multiple animals are mentally ill living in filth, this will end up having an impact on those of us who choose to have multiple pets. I had a heck of time finding a rental that would accept more than 2 cats. I even got the unsolicited solution of taking the "extras" to the animal shelter - Hmm and which teen-aged kitty should I start with... Floors are clean, litter boxes get cleaned twice a day, kitties are fed on clean dishes, dishes are washed, counters are scrubbed in my house. Could be growing up on a working farm - if you have animals you take care of them. Pets you care for until they die or rehome. Stock animals are cared for until they become food. Clean water, Clean barn/feedlot, plenty of good food. And yes we did have a couple of milk cows that became "pets" when they got too old. Also gave me a pragmatic practical mindset. The story about the cockfighting seizure: We raised 500-700 chickens a year (became Southern fried chicken) and why on earth they would inject chickens to kill them is beyond my understanding. The 300 chickens that were killed could have provided 1200 meals at the homeless shelter/food bank . If not used as people food the Animal Shelter could have fed how many cats & dogs? What a waste of an animals life.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Never mind myself, I don't think I'd want my cat or dog eating a bird that was living in filth and eating who-knows-what, plus whatever drugs they may have given them to make them even more mean.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love chickens to death, but they are the stupidest snots alive and will eat anything before them that appears to be edible, whether or not it was fed to them by humans, so I don't think there would have been too much of a change in that regard? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. bkitty?) I don't know if they'd have picked up any diseases or if their living situation would have been a risk or not.
(Note to Self: Find 'Chickenforum.com' to join.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love chickens to death, but they are the stupidest snots alive and will eat anything before them that appears to be edible, whether or not it was fed to them by humans, so I don't think there would have been too much of a change in that regard? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong. bkitty?) I don't know if they'd have picked up any diseases or if their living situation would have been a risk or not.
(Note to Self: Find 'Chickenforum.com' to join.)
Doubleposting. Forgive! I meant to bring things back on topic since I was kind of derailing them and ran out of time:

I've definitely noticed an increase in people who are quick to tell me 'not to hoard' since The Hoarders has been on the air. Cashier actually lectured me last time around!

Dear World:

Please do not lecture us pet owners about hoarding until you know what you are talking about.

Lots of Love,

calamityjane

1 - 20 of 29 Posts